Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a recommendation for a wireless controller for HO DC system. I have a lot of older locomotive and don't want to switch to DCC yet. Can anyone recommend a good system for DC? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I don't think that exists.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
In DCC, the rails are constantly energized; you send a digital signal to the loco to tell MIT how much of that power to send to the motor. It's a fairly simple concept to have a base station wired to the track, and wireless handsets to send signals to the base station.

On a DC layout, locos are controlled by the voltage and polarity of the power sent to the rails from a powerpack with a rheostat. There is no commercially available system that I am aware of that will do the same thing wirelessly. The technology DOES exist, though. I have a home automation that lets me control dimmable LED bulbs through my smartphone. I'm sure it would be possible to adapt this technology to do the same thing for a DC power supply, but it would require a pretty high degree of electrical expertise (more than I have), and it would be expensive enough to make DCC conversion cost competitive. But you could do it if you so chose.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
While not a cheap solution it is easy to do it with the Lionel Legacy system. The Cab2, or an iPhone with the Lionel app, will vary the track voltage. That is how I run my original Gilbert conventional engines. For a DC engine just add a full wave bridge rectifier between the power output and the track.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How do you plan on running the train(s)?
You can search for "Wireless Remote Control PWM DC Motor Speed Regulator" on ebay and find a control base and handheld remote which could replace your existing SINGLE throttle power pack.

I suspect most people do not use this type of setup for DC locos.

If you are thinking of having remote control for more than one locomotive, then you need to switch to DCC, because building a multiple loco remote system is why DCC was invented.

Please excuse formatting, this new forum software is atrocious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts