Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Automatic Gateman #145. When I got it home I immediately attached the two wires coming from the bottom to a test transformer. The little guy came in and out as expected. My wife loved it (that's important but I won't go into that here). Now I need to wire it so he only pops out when the train goes by.
The salesman at the local Lionel store talked me into buying a section of 027 track specially designed to replace the pressure contactor. He said it will work much better and tried to explain how I should wire it. It also came with instructions.
Now, I'm totally confused. The instructions show a somewhat complex setup with three wires? I was expecting to just put a lock-on on the track and connect the two wires it came with. This activates it all the time.
Can someone give me an idea of what is involved here and what I'm missing?

·
Admin
45,119 Posts
OK, what I suspect you got was an insulated track section.

You connect the hot lead from the center rail (or transformer accessory power) to the Gateman. You connect the other side of it to the insulated track rail. You can tell which that is by looking, one of the outside rails will have the paper insulators, normally only the center rail has them. One thing he may have forgotten is you MUST use the plastic insulating pins on each end of the isolated track rail, or it won't be isolated.

It works by connecting the two outside rails together through the train to complete the circuit, when the train is not on the insulated rail, the gateman is not powered.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
GRJ, is right as always, insulated track sections are cool. You can use them to control lights, crossings, etc. This is a picture from greenbergs book. Hey Grj, it is Ok to post a pic here and there of a book, if it is only a portion of the book it's right? The book is a must own, in my opinion, for running Lionel post war, it's greenbergs repair and operating manual.

Attachments

·
Admin
45,119 Posts
No problem with something like that, I think that falls under the "fair use" clause. I have the same book, very useful.

I forgot about the light in the gatehouse, that goes directly to the power.

Here's more information on the Lionel #145 Gateman that might be useful.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Automatic Gateman

Yikes! I had the lock-on on the wrong track. Now it works! Think I'm loosing it.
Thanks anyway. I always get a quick and helpful response from this forum. You guys are A ok.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,334 Posts
GRJ, is right as always, insulated track sections are cool. You can use them to control lights, crossings, etc. This is a picture from greenbergs book. Hey Grj, it is Ok to post a pic here and there of a book, if it is only a portion of the book it's right? The book is a must own, in my opinion, for running Lionel post war, it's greenbergs repair and operating manual.
It is OK, it is your book. :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Love 3-rail, love the Gateman; almost a must. The only downside with using track power for accessories is that if you have the train at a crawl, the accessory might not operate well or at all. Using accessory posts on the transformer is the way to go - then you get unfailing, uniform power for your accessory, still completed by your insulated track piece. The only downside is you don't want to park a train over top of it for a length of time if your transformer is still on, or your accessory could have a very shortened lifespan...

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Member - Nytro

Hello,
Are we allowed to upload a manual to the forum? I just bought a 145 Gateman and it had the 4 page install instructions p/n 145-56. I read the "Forum Rules" and saw nothing that disallowed a document upload.
Please advise.

John

·
Yard Master & Research
10,839 Posts
It depends on the age. The old stuff gets shown. Newer stuff we link up to the Lionel site. I found a 12 page manual there.

If you are not sure don't bother. We posted enough information already. You could show a picture of how yours is wired with the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts