Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys wire/solder you wires together. The lamp posts wires are so fine, is it hard to solder them without melting the wire?
When wiring a few of these up what kind of terminal strip is best to use? Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was planning to use a bus line under the table and use small wire taps to connect them. I'm not sure they are small enough though. The other option is to use liquid tape. If you have to extend the wires from the lamp post it may be tricky.

I haven't done this before, so take that with a grain of salt. Just my plan for now. I'm curious what others recommend here.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I would use a crimp connector, if you can. No soldering. I use these Pololu - Crimp Connector Housings, you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but they also sell the crimping tool. You could install the housing after installing the lamp post, but I would crimp the pins on first.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i haven’t had problems soldering lamppost wires together. They are very small, but the enamel coating is very thin. I found I could simply twist the wires together (without removing the insulation), put a small dab of flux on the joint, and then apply the solder. The heat melts the insulation coating and the solder flows in and secures the joint. I then apply “liquid tape” to finish the joint. My final step is to apply periodic dabs of silicone caulk to the underside of my layout and push the lamppost wire into it to hold the wire close to the layout and prevent strain on the wire. Has worked well for the dozen or so lamppost I have. The soldering iron doesn’t get hot enough to melt copper wire. I also solder on 22 AGW leader wire to the lamppost wire for extra length and also to connect them to my power feed terminal blocks.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I haven't had any trouble soldering them either. The soldering iron won't melt the wire and only requires a momentary contact to heat the wire and flow the solder.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i use a small 15W iron powered by a USB port. It puts out just enough power for soldering track, but it's a pencil style that is lightweight with a fine tip.

And yeah, you're never going to melt wire with any soldering iron. Solder melts at just a few hundred degrees (F), while copper melts at around 1900 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts