Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three different operating tracks (pictures are not mine)

1:

2:

3:

None have the wires attached. Which one do I use with my log dumping car?

Also, can I direct wire the track to the transformer? I don't know how it makes sense to run it from track power, since I want the train to stop so it can unload the logs into my log loader platform.

Yes, I did a search, couldn't find a good match on the forum. Thanks!

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Mnp13, any of those will work with the older style log dump car as it works when the slide shoe contacts one of the extra rails. Some log dump cars use the magnet in the center to activate them. The one with the magnet is more versatile as you can set up something on the other side and use the magnetic activator too. Unfortunately the car you have pictures of doesn't look like a log dump car but just a car for hauling logs. The operating track with the rails and the magnet is most versatile as you can use all cars on it. The one with all rails only works with slide shoe cars. And I'm guessing the one with just the magnet only operates magnetic cars . And yes you can direct wire them.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure about directly wiring it. I know the o Guage can be directly wired, not sure about o27. The o27 is soldered on, if i remember correctly. It probably can be done but I don't know?!

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
The 3 Rd operating Track is o scale not 027. Yes now you can dump logs! That one has the slide shoes. They work great!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I'm not sure about directly wiring it. I know the o Guage can be directly wired, not sure about o27. The o27 is soldered on, if i remember correctly. It probably can be done but I don't know?!
Yes, the wires are soldered on, but they've all been cut, so I'm re-soldering all of them. If O can be direct wired then O27 can too. They are the same, the O is just a little beefier.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The first picture is of an 027 uncoupling track. It will also activate operating cars with the center plunger. It does not have the rails necessary to operate cars with sliding shoes. If you are handy (or know someone who is), the coil can be disconnected from the rails and connected to an external power source.

The second picture is of an 027 uncoupling/unloading track. This track will activate operating cars with sliding shoes. Again, it can be rewired for external power.

The third picture is of an 0 gauge unloading track. It too can be rewired for external power.

Here is a diagram of the controller and wiring to track.

Larry

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
Just out of curiosity, because it doesn't make sense they would make a section with just a magnet, and abandon the rails all together, does the first section with just the magnet have slots for the slide shoe rails?.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The third picture is of an 0 gauge unloading track. It too can be rewired for external power.
The third is O27, honest. :cool:

1019-2

It has no wires, when I turn it over all of the connections are soldered. The wires go to the screws. I haven't been able to find any instructions on direct wiring it to the transformer instead of using track power.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just out of curiosity, because it doesn't make sense they would make a section with just a magnet, and abandon the rails all together, does the first section with just the magnet have slots for the slide shoe rails?.
The first section with just the magnet does have spaces for the slide shoe rails. However, from the look of it, it never had them. It even has a different number on the bottom, 6029. The 6029 is not in my Greenberg manual.

The cutouts on the 6029 are different than the 6019 as well, so it was a variation at some point.

·
Hobo for Life
6,243 Posts
I'm thinking the rails were removed at some point, Lionel wouldn't introduce a product that wouldn't support there other cars. I hope anyway! Yea, 027 according to greenbergs boo, iI never saw one.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 33 Posts