Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Saturday Morning!

I would so appreciate it if I may please have my Reverse Loop wiring plan reviewed for accuracy by some of you pros! I am new to this. Please see Overview and Details below.
Are the gaps proposed correct: G1-G4? Is the PSX-AR really wired outside of the RL, while the PSX is inside? The DCC is Digitrax DCS-51. (I burnt up the DCS-50 and can't afford to repeat that!). Thank you!!!! -L

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your review, Tom! Unfortunately, I realized I made a drawing error. Please see corrected Overview. On that plan, where would I create the gaps and connect the PSX and PSX-AR? Are the gaps proposed correct: G1-G4? Is the PSX-AR really wired outside of the RL, while the PSX is inside the loop? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think that you have two figure 8's that form your mainline and then 2 separate reversing sections. So in the drawing below, the mainline is red and the reversing sections are yellow and green.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you follow Tom’s plan, you don’t have any reversing between S5 and S4. You can verify this by using your finger to trace around the green highlighted track taking all paths and you’ll see that you are always circulating in the same direction. You can only reverse your direction by taking the blue track.

You can wire the output of the PSX-AR to any point you like in the blue section of track. It makes the most sense to choose a location near its middle. You don’t need the PSX-1 since the Digitrax command station already has its own internal short circuit protection.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lizzie, I gotta admit, when I saw your first sketch, I could NOT get my head around it!! :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure glad Mark and Tom are here to dope it out! I have noticed that, with all that, you cannot
reverse direction if you are travelling clockwise. :sick:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'll take that back, you can back the loco, like you were on a wye, to reverse direction on the main.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes, I think CID is right. If you start tracing at S2 going downward, you can trace around the plan and take the blue track when you come to it. Then keep tracing around the plan and you will see you now pass through S2 in an upward direction. Everything is fine so far. However, I could not find any path that would again reverse the train direction so that you are again passing through S2 in a downward direction. Most people will not like that behavior. It’s up to you if that’s something that bothers you. If so, you’ll need to alter the plan. It will take some thinking on how best to do that. I don’t have an immediate suggestion on how to do that.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Here's a way to make it so that you can reverse directions when traveling in either direction. I could only wrap my head around my method of partitioning the layout. I added another crossover between the tracks above S2. Maybe Tom can figure out a method using his partitioning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yes! It was built by my father in 1970s, 1980's. My brother modernized it with Digitrax in late 1990s. Now I finally have it and am determined to conquer the reverse loop(s)! Thank you very much for your advice!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THANK YOU everyone for your valuable time and feedback today!! Now, 🤞 that I can learn solder from YouTube (and not scar myself or burn down the house!)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If this is already built, then there must already be electrical isolation in the tracks, otherwise it would not operate because of track polarity mismatch. Your second image shows gap locations, but it’s unclear if those are actual or proposed. Your father must have had DPDT switch(s) hooked up to manually reverse certain sections when it was DC. I would expect to put auto reversers in the same spots.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts