Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If this is already built, then there must already be electrical isolation in the tracks, otherwise it would not operate because of track polarity mismatch. Your second image shows gap locations, but it’s unclear if those are actual or proposed. Your father must have had DPDT switch(s) hooked up to manually reverse certain sections when it was DC. I would expect to put auto reversers in the same spots.
If Dad did have DPDT switches, I would not know and they are no longer on the layout. I suppose that is something else I need to consider. Is a DPDT necessary to install while I am connecting the PSX-AR?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If Dad did have DPDT switches, I would not know and they are no longer on the layout. I suppose that is something else I need to consider. Is a DPDT necessary to install while I am connecting the PSX-AR?
Actually, what would I need to connect for the switch to automatically throw once the train has turned and is about to cross over the switch? I don't want to have to think about it and manually switch it. I don't control the switches yet through Digitrax. They are wired, but I haven't bothered to figure them out or my brother's wiring & programming of them yet.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You will not need any DPDT switches for powering the rails. The PSX-AR acts automatically in place of the old method that used DPDT switches.

The main point I wanted to make is that the track should already have the necessary isolation sections. You just need to identify where those sections are. Hopefully your pictures will allow us to better help you with that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you have room to add more track and can you take some pictures
Pictures!! Currently there are insulated connectors at S1 on both sides of Y and also one between S2 and S3.
S2 on left, S3 in middle, foreground, S5 right, background
S1 in foreground, S4in background

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Here is the plan that DCC Specialties suggested, but it left me with too many questions. Why is PSX needed? Why is PSX-AR outside of loop? Does G4 need a gap? I asked and was told G3 needed a gap, so why not G4? Do I need bus/feeders if I am using the PSX?

I started to doubt this plan and here I am! How does it look to you?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Lizzie, this looks like a version of the Granite Gorge and Northern track plan which was/is fairly popular. (Do a Google search to see better drawings of this track plan.) The original GG&N track plan doesn't have any reversing sections. If your drawing up in post #1 is accurate, it looks like turnout S2 and S3 were added to the GG&N plan and that addition is what's causing polarity problems. I think Tom's diagram for wiring the reversing section he's drawn in blue is the way to go. I would follow his advice and disregard what DCC Specialties gave you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lizzie, this looks like a version of the Granite Gorge and Northern track plan which was/is fairly popular. (Do a Google search to see better drawings of this track plan.) The original GG&N track plan doesn't have any reversing sections. If your drawing up in post #1 is accurate, it looks like turnout S2 and S3 were added to the GG&N plan and that addition is what's causing polarity problems. I think Tom's diagram for wiring the reversing section he's drawn in blue is the way to go. I would follow his advice and disregard what DCC Specialties gave you.
Correct! Yes, my father added that and it made him miserable sometimes. haha! Thank you for this advice!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Plus make sure that the wring powering the rails between S3 and S1 is not connected to any other wring
Right, everything else will be powered by Digitrax, then S3-S1 will have only the PSX-AR (which connects to Digitrax system). Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
THANK YOU everyone for your valuable time and feedback today!! Now, 🤞 that I can learn solder from YouTube (and not scar myself or burn down the house!)
Lizze;

When I was young and stupid, (before I advanced to old and senile) I had a bad soldering experience.
My old layout used Atlas track & cork roadbed, with the track nailed down onto plywood.
I had some soldering to do on wires run under the layout. (Always consummate joy!)
My trusty soldering iron was on top of the layout heated up, tinned with plenty of solder, and ready to go. I reached up (blindly) to grab my soldering iron. Unfortunately, (very unfortunately), I grabbed the wrong end! Holding the HOT barrel of the iron in my palm briefly (It doesn't take long to examine a hot soldering iron by touch!) I felt enormous pain. Some extra pain was emanating from the hot solder dripping down the inside of my arm! Some more hurt was in my immediate future as I straightened up, and promptly impaled my scalp on all those sharp little track nails!
I learned two things on that long-ago day.
First, I learned how to cuss at a young and tender age.
Second, I learned not to do that again. Seriously, If you have to solder wires under the layout turn the layout up on its side, if at all possible. If you can't do that, and have to solder above your head, protect your eyes with safety goggles.

Good Luck & have Fun;

Traction Fan o_O

21 - 40 of 40 Posts