Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally figured out a layout on the floor to run a lower level freight line (2037 steam), with 2 loops and a coal ramp and coal loader, AND a single elevated Fast Track loop for now to run my passenger line Santa Fe Lion Chief.
I've really had to do some juggling with those grey 6" wide trestle bases. My question is do I HAVE to use what Lionel calls a "spacer"- a 10" metal strip on every single support pair? It would make life a lot easier if I didn't use the strip for ALL the trestle support pairs but I guess it would be unorthodox and I guess you would NEVER see this in the real world. So, I'm guessing that Lionel included these strips so that the spacing between each support pair is the same?
Has anyone else "cheated" and eliminated the strip occasionally to move the pier supports over a tiny amount to clear a ground level obstacle? Would I be losing a significant amount of stability?
Here's a picture of my progress so far. Keep in mind this is totally preliminary. I haven't completed the bottom level loops because the toughest "nut to crack" was positioning the trestle along side the coal ramp, while leaving enough distance to accommodate the 396 coal loader between the ramp and the outer loop. I did NOT have enough trestle supports to even support the starter amount of Fast Track to do even this puny 60" oval. So I spaced them out for now. Notice at the left I positioned two supports FAR apart because I took off the spacer strip for now.

Notice how I had to twist the base supports to straddle the switcher that is below the Fast Track level .
Now, the width of the outer loop is 57", which should fit my 5 foot wide table (60")
It isn't the most cost effective way of doing things- I'm going to have to buy TWO 4x8 plywood sheets, and cut a 5 x 4 piece out of each. YES, I'm going lay these two pieces down on a frame to give me a 5x8 table.
(I was even going to go with two 4x4 pieces before for a conventional 4x4 size table to make it easier to bring down the cellar steps without having to take down my railing. I'll be left with 2 3x4 pieces. It is what it is. I simply can't make this work on a standard 4x8, and 6 x8 or 6x9 is really out of the question. I don't feel like going through a narrow obstacle course every time I want to do the laundry or open a freezer or refrigerator door every day.
So that's it for now. If anyone can offer any guidance on these trestles I am all ears!

·
Registered
8,755 Posts
I'd give myself at least five inches of clearance from the top of the lower track to the bottom of whatever is supporting the Fastrack.

A question, if you have a lot of the old tubular track why use Fastrack up top? Fastrack tends to be noisy (the plastic roadbed resonates a bit) in elevated situation. Tubular on 1/4 plywood cut to fit would probably work as well . . .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd give myself at least five inches of clearance from the top of the lower track to the bottom of whatever is supporting the Fastrack.

A question, if you have a lot of the old tubular track why use Fastrack up top? Fastrack tends to be noisy (the plastic roadbed resonates a bit) in elevated situation. Tubular on 1/4 plywood cut to fit would probably work as well . . .
The Fastrack came with the starter set. Besides, I'm going to be applying 18 volts to the Fast Track with the little transformer that came with this starter set. The Santa Fe will be running WIRELESSLY with the included remote control, and NOT be controlled by track voltage, as is the case with the lower level tubular track running my old technology 2037 steam loco.
My problem is not height, it is positioning the 6" BASES of the trestles straddling the tubular track to allow room for the switches and especially the coal ramp and the companion 396 coal loader. I finally arrived at the correct placement, but it wasn't easy. Here is a picture to show you how tight this "fit" is ESPECIALLY around the switch:

My question was if it was OK in eliminating the 10" metal spacers in certain areas that LOCKS the distance between supports so I can nudge the bases around with a little more flexibility?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've never used Fastrack ... So I would place the trestles as needed and test the loop. Run the train to ensure it's weight doesn't cause issues due to trestle positioning - unintended track movement due to the weight of the train.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts