Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Not a bad article, and I'm sure the movie would be interesting.

Northlandz is hardly news to most of us, though.

And it's claim to be the largest is self-promoting. Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg Germany puts it to shame, and there are anecdotal reports of several truly private layouts that are bigger as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a bad article, and I'm sure the movie would be interesting.

Northlandz is hardly news to most of us, though.

And it's claim to be the largest is self-promoting. Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg Germany puts it to shame, and there are anecdotal reports of several truly private layouts that are bigger as well.
I had never heard of the place, sorry for spreading old news, my bad!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Actually, there's no shame about Nothlandz at all. They are both amazing railroads.
One thing to note about Northlandz though, it's a large group of individual loops of track with their own DC power supply. Most of them don't connect to the other loops.
The Hamburg display is all computer controlled.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I had never heard of the place, sorry for spreading old news, my bad!
That wasn't intended as a rebuke.

Just letting you know that it isn't anything new, that's all. And, as you probably noticed, my own personal view is that the place is somewhat overhyped.

·
Admin
43,697 Posts
I went to Northlandz once. It was neat and interesting to see, but I am not in a huge hurry to go back. It was fairly repetitious, although the scale was impressive. However, there was very little running, and most of the trains were very uninspiring, 5, 6, 8 cars? There needed to be a lot more going on to hold your interest. A model train display should have lots of model trains. ;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Many years ago we visited Northlandz when my son was very, very young. It's one of his earliest memories. He was enchanted, as was I.

Needless to say, that place is OK in my book.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Sometime ago I read of a very large model railroad being developed possibly in Russia
but have not seen any more about it. Anybody know if it came about?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts