Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm 99.9% sure Lionel never made the wheels that way. I think that's all wear from operating. Likely those aren't the original pickup shoes either since I'm sure they'd be worn through with that kind of wear showing on the wheels.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I will say, when I do the annual inspections on our equipment at work, wear such as that is something we look for. There's even a special gauge for showing when it's out of tolerance. Yours are way over the condemning limit 🤣

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looks like someone got a good bit of playwear out of that antique over the years for sure. Does it still run? Replacements are still available I assume?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It runs well but....gets hung up on switch frogs. That wear is causing it to ride lower I think. Time for new wheels. The side rods are swedged onto the wheel standoffs, no screws.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It runs well but....gets hung up on switch frogs. That wear is causing it to ride lower I think. Time for new wheels. The side rods are swedged onto the wheel standoffs, no screws.
I've thought about that problem. IIRC, a poster here would "schrunch" the pinhead to remove the rods. Then use a punch to spread them back out.

Me, I'm setup to thread the holes, albeit, in metric. I have an assortment of small screws in 2 mm, 2.5, & 3 mm. And I have the taps.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its original for sure. Only engine I know that has the pivot ball and locking light into the body.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I believe people are under the impression that the chassis pictured above is in your Flying Yankee powered unit. It looks to me as though the chassis in question is in a Commodore Vanderbilt 2-4-2?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts