Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this design for a modern Steam engine that is built to run on altenative fuels like biogas and i was wondering if maybe it could work in a locomotive sort of like what happend with steam turbines
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Plan

Gas Cylinder Machine Auto part Art

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That animation looks extremely complicated and over-engineered.
But yes. Steam driven electric turbines have kept the lights on in the nation for decades. Scaling the process down I believe scales down output as well? So, possible? Yes. Practical? I’m not so sure. You’d need a tiny turbine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That animation looks extremely complicated and over-engineered.
But yes. Steam driven electric turbines have kept the lights on in the nation for decades. Scaling the process down I believe scales down output as well? So, possible? Yes. Practical? I’m not so sure. You’d need a tiny turbine.
not a turbine a piston engine like the one up there

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Swiss actually did it during ww2. They had steam locos they equipped with electrical heating elements due to much of their rail network being electrified already and most of their coal coming from Germany which wasn’t exporting coal

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Swiss actually did it during ww2. They had steam locos they equipped with electrical heating elements due to much of their rail network being electrified already and most of their coal coming from Germany which wasn’t exporting coal
again not what i meant i mean the steam engine shown above but inside a body similar to Diesel with a Natural Gas tender sort of like this Florida East Coast Diesel-Gas Hybrid but with a Z8 or Z6 steam engine and Water tube boiler replacing the prime mover
Train Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
A steam turbine locomotive is a steam locomotive which transmits steam power to the wheels via a steam turbine. Numerous attempts at this type of locomotive were made, mostly without success.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A steam turbine locomotive is a steam locomotive which transmits steam power to the wheels via a steam turbine. Numerous attempts at this type of locomotive were made, mostly without success.
well think of a steam turbine electric but replace the turbine with a Z type 4 stroke steam engine so its a steam engine but its laid out a bit like a diesel engine

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I’m sure someone could theoretically make one but the idea of steam driving any form of motive power with steam expansion now days would be a lot more expensive with all the complicated machining and mechanical parts to do it efficiently and reliably wouldn’t be very feasible. Nearly anything is possible but the question would be is it worth going back to antiquated technology with higher maintenance costs

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think anyone who would consider such follie loves to over engineer.stuff.
We already know we can make high torque electric motors that can handle loads, why in the H.E.double hockey sticks would you want to decrease efficiency and add another process to complicate an end result???
Today we see locomotives using alternate fuels to make electricity to drive wheel motors.
I would LOVE to see a comeback to steam locomotives but there are just too many tree huggers drinking the coolaid.

·
Admin
47,302 Posts
Could it be made? Sure. Will it be made? Maybe a one-off might be created for someone that was into such endevors. There certainly won't be a commercially viable product that operates in that manner, it would be horribly inefficient! Why in the world would you convert your steam into reciprocating motion and then go to rotary motion when a turbine will do it in one step?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think anyone who would consider such follie loves to over engineer.stuff.
We already know we can make high torque electric motors that can handle loads, why in the H.E.double hockey sticks would you want to decrease efficiency and add another process to complicate an end result???
Today we see locomotives using alternate fuels to make electricity to drive wheel motors.
I would LOVE to see a comeback to steam locomotives but there are just too many tree huggers drinking the coolaid.
I’m sure someone could theoretically make one but the idea of steam driving any form of motive power with steam expansion now days would be a lot more expensive with all the complicated machining and mechanical parts to do it efficiently and reliably wouldn’t be very feasible. Nearly anything is possible but the question would be is it worth going back to antiquated technology with higher maintenance costs
i am talking about a Z type steam engine they are much lower maintence and much higherpower then the steam engine of old and are slightly more efficent the diesel engines

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Steam powered turbines and dynamos are still used in New York City today, for electricity generation. They’re under the streets of NY. Those plummets of steam coming from the manhole covers on nearly every avenue are exhaust ports belonging to Con Edison Steam generators.

·
Admin
47,302 Posts
Its a Z-scale model of a steam engine. Would the fact that it runs on electricity make it a "steam electric"? 😄
Then how the heck does live steam conversion enter into the discussion? You're lucky you can fit a tiny electric motor into a Z-scale locomotive! :rolleyes: The OP has dragged this thread into the weeds! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
From the looks of the picture above it’s almost set up like a variable displacement hydraulic pump so the plate angle changes which proportionately changes stroke on the piston. Yes this could increase efficiency a lot and could probably be a plausible idea if you wanted to engineer something like it. It could probably spin a generator fast enough to make it able to be done but the boiler, fire box, tender, and all the electrical components would have to fit inside the car body of the locomotive. Doing that would be like cramming 10 pounds of poo into a 5 pound bag

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John;

Its a Z-scale model of a steam engine. Would the fact that it runs on electricity make it a "steam electric"? 😄

Traction Fan
no its a new design of steam engine that was developed in the 21st century designed to solve some of the energy issues that we will likely be facing soon that animation is a small 6 cylinder Z type engine its more efficent then internal combustion engines and maybe some diesel engines

1 - 20 of 25 Posts