Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering just how high diesel fuel prices will have to go before the big railroads take another good look at the possibility of electrifying some of their main lines...
hehe well here in washington almost everybody wants electrified service around king street station so at some point WSDOT will probably force BNSF to electrified it

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
in philadelphia, regional rail electric cars have roof top pantographs, 11,000 volts. When you lower the pantograph, an arc forms and as the pantograph lowers the distance the arc bridges ( between pantograph and overhead wire) gets too long and the arc goes out.

Now in the tunnels, sometimes the pantograph would bounce, and latch itself down on the roof
BUT
the tunnels were too low, the distance the arc bridges is too short, and the arc stays, continuing to power the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
An interesting subject. I am very much a fan and student of history, so have accumulated a large amount of historical paper goods. I have almost every issue of Trains Magazine, starting with its first issue.

The issue of electrification is addressed in the December 1962 issue, which I just acquired. The article is a good read, much technical talk.

At that time, the writer argued against electrification, due to the costs required to do so.

The analysis could be very different in our era. For example, in the 1962 consideration, diesel fuel cost $0.10 per gallon. Yes, 10 CENTS (!) per gallon. That's hard to comprehend in this time where I'm feeding my farm machines $5.00 PLUS fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts