Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All
I have gone off my rocker now, - set a side my plasticville kick [ it is out of control ] - I had listed a rare Marx Airport on eBay [ Why I don't have Marx on My Toy Layout I'm building ]- well after many low ball excuses of why people could not afford to pay what I was asking - I did decide to keep it - I even stated that in my auction - Now here is great part I have to make more room in the future for a huge Layout with Planes and runway - work in progress -
Well after pulling the auction I started looking for the light for one corner of the building - I think I might have found one.

I was not sure what Airplane went with this rare set - then mind you I'm poking around eBay and I find a Christmas photo from 1954 with a little guy and his new Christmas train [ very cool old photograph ] [ Yes I bought the photo for $1.00 plus First class shipping , a photo is worth a 1000 words ]- smack in the middle it - behold - the Marx Airport - ok now it gets better - Now I know what Airplane came with the set Now I have to find it.

So would you use Marx on your Layout ? "Christmas Memories"

2w.jpg

images (1).jpg

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
No. It's way too toy-like in appearance for my taste.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No. It's way too toy-like in appearance for my taste.
Agreed on Toy like - that is the object of that build - thank you for the answer - I'm in Florida you would be surprised how many layouts I see that are retro kiddy cool - Some guy had a layout on craigslist months back with Dinosaurs and a Tex with a train engine in its mouth - yep I scratched my head - he even had the tar pit and plasticville [ I should of saved a photo ] after thought

The second photo down on here is my test board were I take models I pick in estates and see what I want on the scene - then I weather them to make them look realistic

First photo is on test board - restoring Mattel Chitty Chitty Bang Bang I picked up - I'm fitting it in the toy design - some how
1f.jpg

1f.jpg

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
I do!!

Not a lot - I am mostly into 1:48 scale modern models of trains from the 1930s to 1960s, but . . .

Here I am with my first Marx train set, in 1953. It is my Dad's pre-War wind-up tinplate set. Note that even at an early age I knew a lot about trains, such as which end of the tender went toward the locomotive.
Just me.jpg

Here is that set today. It sits on the shelves here and never moves.
Slide19.JPG

Eight years ago I search on eBay, etc. and bought a second set of exactly the same engine and rolling stock, along with a half dozen old wind up 4-wheel drive units. All where fairly easy to find and buy, except the box car, which turned out to be rather rare. It took half a year just to find one up for bid. I submitted a nuclear bid on it and won. I cleaned and rebuilt all six drive units and tested them to find out which would run the farthest, then put that is the loco body, and one by one cleaned and rebuilt the rolling stock, working on the bearings and wheels until each rolled well. I had an exact replica of my Dad's set to run on the layout. It is upstairs now. Among other times I run it every year on his birthday. The loco is wind up and fully wound, can barely make it around my my longest Mainline #1 - about 135 feet.

I also have a reproduction I similarly bought, as I remember it, of my first electric train, also Marx, a 0-4-0 and a cars, and the locos I always wanted as a kid: a Marx 333 and a Marx set with EMD F units in Warbonnet. Marx made some cool locos, and it brings back lots of memories.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
{Quote}
I also have a reproduction I similarly bought, as I remember it, of my first electric train, also Marx, a 0-4-0 and a cars, and the locos I always wanted as a kid: a Marx 333 and a Marx set with EMD F units in Warbonnet. Marx made some cool locos, and it brings back lots of memories.
[/QUOTE]

Lee
Agreed on the memories - generations worth - we packed my dads train away for safe keeping back in 95 and still going through boxes this year [ we started a year ago looking for it ] 4 generations of stuff before - during and after the Great Depression my family never tossed much out - what is taking so long is documenting old photos and marking boxes this time

Great old photo - I have 100s of old photos and wish I knew who they were - picked up a long the way - I guess I'm a sentimental old fool

Ride The Rails

1 - 5 of 5 Posts