Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this layout in my basement is my first train setup that wasn't just some track laying on the carpet. I've got about 85' of main line, with another 65' + of siding and ladder yards. It has taken me nearly 2 weeks of working on this every night before I could even get an engine to make a full lap around the layout. Now I'm dealing with derailments everywhere on the track. Everywhere there's a switch i've had to "repair" the switch enough to stop the derailments. Oh, let's not even go into shorts shutting off my MRC Advance! LOL.... I'm SLOWLY getting all the bugs worked out, but man I wasn't expecting it to be this much work to just get things rolling.

Please tell me I'm not the only one, lol...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
A very impressive undertaking, dozer! You need to work on that locomotive, though. It shouldn't take two weeks to make a lap around the track.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Is it a conditioned area? If not, how humid is it down there? Factors like this will have your layout lumber swelling and shrinking to varying degrees and all to the detriment of your track work. The humidity will also corrode track connections as well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a humidty gauge in the basement, and so far all looks good. It's never felt humid down there. Reckers, you're too funny man! LOL..... After taking nearly 3 months to get the layout framed up, and half the foundation built it then took me 2 weeks to get the track wired up and running. LOL...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Dozer, Reckers is on a roll!:D
SO is leaving for several days and he says that he'll have his layout, "Up & Running".:rolleyes:
Taking bets on how long it will take one of his engines to make a lap!LOL!!!!:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Jim,

At this point, I haven't even finished framing the table-top, much less have it up on legs. However, with the hot babe gone to PA and my son hanging out with me while she's gone, I'll make some headway. It's a lot easier to work on it without having "LEENNNNNN......" echoing down the basement stairwell!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim,

At this point, I haven't even finished framing the table-top, much less have it up on legs. However, with the hot babe gone to PA and my son hanging out with me while she's gone, I'll make some headway. It's a lot easier to work on it without having "LEENNNNNN......" echoing down the basement stairwell!

Hahahaa, that's why I turn the stereo up loud enough where I can't hear her, so she has to come down stairs and that certainly isn't going to happen!!! LOL....

·
16,666 Posts
Interesting comment on the humidity, above.

I went to an open house at an HO layout near Boston a few months ago ... rather large (80' length, perhaps), with several peninsula sections. It's still under construction, and I noticed that the guys were laying down the table with ultra-high quality plywood ... something like 9-layer plywood of all hardwood veneers. I asked a few nosy questions ... they said the ply is nearly $100 a sheet, but they go this route (and spend the money) to achieve high dimensional stability with any changes in humidity / temperature. And this, even though their building is A/C controlled.

Their moral: on large layouts, things can shrink and grow with temp/humid significantly, so do whatever you can to improve dimensional stability.

TJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts