Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Amazing that there are that many wrecked locos, and probably many more from other railroads that we haven't seen, and yet we only here about the crashes that are of agenda driven, spectacular media interest.....:eyes:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Found this website and a few wrecks I'm just at a loss for words on how the f*** the loco got there.
There are a ton of pictures of wrecked locomotives there, which one are you for a loss of words on how the plucking loco got there?
The one in the river?:confused:

The engineer wasn't looking where he was steering? :laugh:
Wanted to go fishing?:p
They refused to give the locomotive a bath?:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are a ton of pictures of wrecked locomotives there, which one are you for a loss of words on how the plucking loco got there?
The one in the river?:confused:

The engineer wasn't looking where he was steering? :laugh:
Wanted to go fishing?:p
They refused to give the locomotive a bath?:D
Agreed, I wanna know it got there too

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
It would be difficult to do that, as the safety equipment is built to function on the new locomotives......not retro-fitted to old relics......

And I don't know if they test-crash the brand new ones....at millions of dollars each, they may be reluctant to do so......:confused:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Do they ever crash test locomotives, mainly attempts with new safety equipment tried on old units?
It would seem to me that available funds for upgrading safety would be far better spent on upgrading track and fully implementing controls that keep engineers from exceeding speed limits -- than on crash testing locos.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
It would seem to me that available funds for upgrading safety would be far better spent on upgrading track and fully implementing controls that keep engineers from exceeding speed limits -- than on crash testing locos.
In the desert outside of Pueblo, Colorado, there is the Transportation Technology Center. Formerly a Dept of Transportation site for testing various land vehicles, it was turned over to the Federal Railroad Administration, and then, in 1998, it became the property of the railroads themselves under the auspices of the Association of American Railroads. The site is huge (two large balloon tracks) and shows up very well on Google Earth (it's about 20 mi ENE of downtown).

They do all sorts of testing there, sometimes under contract to the FRA, and sometimes because the railroads just want to know (enquiring minds....). Yes, they have crash tested locos there, tank cars, effects of speed on derailments, etc.

My favorite is when they crush an auto (or a school bus) with an SD-70! Yeah, they say they're testing safety modifications, but the truth is the engineers just want to see a road vehicle get made into scrap metal. :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do they ever crash test locomotives, mainly attempts with new safety equipment tried on old units?
Yes they do. Well, not for testing the locomotive but for testing the integrity of nuclear flasks.
These are usually mounted on special flatbed trailers. In tests, a locomotive is run into them at high speed. It’s important to assess the strength of these flasks since they transport nuclear materials across the country.

The Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge runs a film of one of these
tests and of course they’re on YouTube.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
Old thread resurrected... Not sure how you guys find this old stuff. I'd have to go dozens of pages deep into the thread lists to see them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts