Transport Track Vehicle Steel Nonbuilding structure

Architecture Scale model Wood Tower block Building

Wood Beam

Track Transport Railway Thoroughfare Vehicle

Track Transport Wood Railway Thoroughfare

Wood Beam Room Metal

Bridge Burr truss Wood Nonbuilding structure Walkway

Wood Beam

I built this layout several years ago. My wife encouraged me to build a new garage/workshop. we had a small pond in our yard for quite some time, and when we moved our garden, I decided to move and enlarge the pond. The shop and pond were designed around the suspended layout. The support wall for the shop overhand which serves as a covered patio, is the back wall for the pond, and extends about four feet below grade, and about three feet above the water surface.
I decided on the name Wrong Way RR after having several de-railments and other mishaps by having switches set in the wrong direction. It took quite some time to get used to the switching procedure down, even with a written protocol. Now, I just use a step stool and switch manually.
Inside the shop on one wall is a two track yard, closed in by removable glass panels that extends about eighteen feet, which is the inside length of the shop. The outside layout is approximately ten feet wide, by fifteen long. The shelving is made of three quarter inch oak bordered with walnut. The shelving along the shop wall rests on crown molding, and gingerbread brackets reduced from the original bracket I used as a pattern.
The side walls are incorporated into the soffit, with turned posts made with a tracing attachment for a wood lathe. I copied one of the porch posts I salvaged from an old house. These posts have dual wood thread inserts at the bottom, and machine thread and wood thread inserts at the top. The machined rods go through the ceiling, and are nutted on the floor in the storage space above the layout.
The open end is spanned by three wood trestles, The two large trestles are between three and four feet long, and the open deck trestle is about two feet long. The open trestle rests on to outrigger boards attached to the center post, which also serve as supports for the two larger trestles. This span is protected form the elements by glass panels.
On the opposite wall, spanning the entry to the shop, is a soldered steel open deck girder bridge that is forty one inches long, and rests on notches in the wood shelving. This bridge took about a month to build, as the rivets are hand punched, and the angle iron reinforcements are all individually bent, rivet detailed, and soldered to the wall panels. The cross bracing underneath is also separately applied.
The layout is two loops, interconnected with Atlas track and switches. Power is supplied by two Lionel post war RW transformers. Switches are powered by an HO DC power pack, All track connections are soldered, and power drops are about every three to four feet.
For a few years, I have been considering a ground level garden layout, and I may commit this summer. I have a preliminary plan in my head, and probably more then enough track from the suspended layout to complete the initial phase. My ultimate goal would be to span the pond at its narrowest point, approximately ten feet, and use the entire yard for the layout.
I have included photos of the layout from start to finish.
Don

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,615 Posts
Don do you want to put in the pictures so they show as a picture instead of a link?

If so do this,

Inserting,
All you need to do is go back to the post where the pictures are and click edit,
then advanced edit.
then look up top and click on the paper clip,
then click whatever shows.
If you only have one picture it will just be a link click on it.
more then one picture will say insert all click on it.
All your pictures will show as pictures.

Every time you upload a picture after it uploads go back and click the paper clip a second time then click whatever shows.
It inserts the pictures as pictures instead of a link.

We only have 48 hours to edit, if you miss that ask a mod to insert them for you.

It is a lot better for all to just look at the pictures instead of going back and forth clicking.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, is this the right place for this? I thought I clicked on the My layout forum, but I hit Layout design instead. Also, can I add pics to the same post, or just add in another reply? I didn't realize I exceeded the limit until I submitted the post. I'll edit tomorrow, thanks for the info.
Don

·
Registered
359 Posts
First, is this the right place for this? I thought I clicked on the My layout forum, but I hit Layout design instead. Also, can I add pics to the same post, or just add in another reply? I didn't realize I exceeded the limit until I submitted the post. I'll edit tomorrow, thanks for the info.
Don
Technically no but if it's that big of a deal I'm sure a moderator will move it to "my layout". As far as I know you will have to add more replies. Please do go back and insert your pictures tomorrow though cause I'm really interested to see your work but not interested enough to click a thousand links.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,615 Posts
Don
Just ask a mod to move it over to there.

I never knew there was a limit to adding pictures.
After you download 5, I thought you could add more? No limit?

Just add more in another post so one doesn't have too many pictures.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,615 Posts
Nice work, labor intensive, that is for sure. Tell me something the red arrow in the picture, (look hard for the arrow, I did it quick:eek:) did you weather this up to make it look like that or is that from the real outside weather?
A lot of your planks are laying there with pieces off, you did that or is that from being outside?

I like the look, looks like some of the old trestles I used to walk over while fishing. :smilie_daumenpos:

You got spiders working for you too.:p:thumbsup:

Track Transport Railway Steel Vehicle

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ed. That was made like that to look like an old bridge. My youngest son Mark, who helped me even lit a section of one of the wooden bridges on fire to simulate a train fire. There are stacks of wood, and a new beam laying on the deck to replace the damage. The floor boards are paper thin, and we used several broken pieces to represent old rotted boards.
I'll be posting several more photos throughout the day. I have an album on another forum, and also stored in my old computer of the building process for all the bridges. I'm goin to try to retrieve them from the other forum.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,615 Posts
It looks like it needs a good blowing with an air compressor.
Have you ever done that?
Mainly for the spider webs, the dust looks kind of good with all the old that you incorporated into it.

I use this every once and a while in my dungeon when the spiders make a comeback.

I clean all their webs with my shop vac and then spray this around, keeps them at bay for a half a year or so.
Also good for ants and other insects.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Ho...oor-Insect-Killer-Case-of-4-0196710/203137140

I recommend buying the one with the sprayer, then just buying refills. It works nice. The sprayer takes a battery, mines been spraying for years.
When I got mine it said pet friendly in the description, I see it doesn't now.
It doesn't stink either. I spray it around the outside foundation in the spring time it helps keep the bugs out.
I spray it around inside in my kitchen base too. When I first bought it I was getting those small ants coming in. I have not really seen any bugs since I started using it.
But the spiders do make a comeback after 6 months or so.

They say no matter where you are there is always a spider within 10 foot of you at all times.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I do spray it with a compressor. Some of the cobwebs wrap themselves around the bridge posts and railings, so I can't get it all. It's even more of a pain to clean the track in the two bridges. I do use the insect spray, but only in the house. I suppose I could spray the layout too.
Don

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John,
It's about a seven plus foot drop. I had an MTH Santa Fe caboose fall, fortunately, only a small corner broke off from the cupola roof. I haven't had any other mishaps to date.
Don

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.