Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Why did you take the rear cover off? Was there a problem with the armature, impeller or the bottom bearing?

Larry

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good question. Would not turn over. 1. replaced brushes, 2.checked armature for shorts 3. coil for shorts, bypassed e unit. Still nothing so that left one last item. Armature gap and sure enough it was messed up. Moving the cover frees the armature and it spins.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearing seems tight on the shaft, not super loose. Moving the plate only one way cures it. If it was worn I would think it would wobble around. Do they sell this bearing?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,651 Posts
There is a part number for it but the Olsen site is not responding. It may be tight for lack of a bearing. Seaching for parts can be time consuming. That is the reason I never got back to them. Since it is brass making one is an option.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a ws-85 and that cover above is wrong. I do have others that use that type of bearing cover though. Mine is a poor design. There is no adjustment in the brush plate so why have an adjustable bearing. Someone probably dropped mine so it was out of whack.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
its a ws-85 and that cover above is wrong. I do have others that use that type of bearing cover though. Mine is a poor design. There is no adjustment in the brush plate so why have an adjustable bearing. Someone probably dropped mine so it was out of whack.
The pic from legacy station was listed as a WS-85 whistle cover. That's why I said there might be variations - it may have changed over time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts