Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need any Lionel truck that has a roller pickup (4 wheels). I'm making a "Christmas Train" out of junk parts and all I need now is a rear truck with pickup so I can feed my smoke unit.

Let me know the cost and I'd appreciate using paypal but will send cash.

Thanks much,

Dale

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are talking about a truck for a steam locomotive, right? I did not think that any of those actually came with pick-up rollers... I have a rear truck from a 2026, but there is no pick-up roller on it...
I was thinking more of a truck for a tender of something.

I maybe could just get a junk tender off ebay and wire one of the pickups into the steamer smoker. In fact I could use the other pickup to wire up one of those chugger sound units. I've got one in one of my boxes. I tested it and it works great.

Maybe I should go with the tender idea?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bought a new Lionel coupler plate assembly w/roller pickup off ebay (it only has the pickup). These are used to put light in a caboose or front end of a whistling tender.

I have a tender with nothing in it so I'll mount this on the front and run a wire feed into the steamer via plug to the smoke unit. I'll also use it to feed a new chugger sound unit that I'll rig inside the tender.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Could you post a picture of the chugger unit?
Hi, I'll try to get a picture up when I get back from our Thanksgiving time trip down south.

This unit was pretty much standard in those low-cost plastic Lionel tenders made in the 70's. They were wired into the LOCO and often these wires broke so the owner thought the unit died. Fix the wire and it chugs again.

One thing is these are VERY loud and I've found that I have to muffle mine down a little with some of that pink insulation. But the sound is really pretty good.

I'm mounting my chugger into a better tender that I'll add weight to and mount the pickup on the rear truck. I may even put it into a nice pre-war tin tender. The unit consists of a circuit board and speaker.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
It sounds like the tender I just posted about. 1978 vintage. Before Digital, During the comadore 64 computer, before the net. An age with few distractions. The Lionel service site has paid off for information. I do not have the engine though and that actuates that great chug sound. That is what I am curious about. I think I will make another tender post.
Have A Great Holiday!
Bob

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like the tender I just posted about. 1978 vintage. Before Digital, During the comadore 64 computer, before the net. An age with few distractions. The Lionel service site has paid off for information. I do not have the engine though and that actuates that great chug sound. That is what I am curious about. I think I will make another tender post.
Have A Great Holiday!
Bob

I've been so busy I haven't had much time to play trains. :)

Yesterday I rigged a middle track pickup to a common 60's empty tender and wired it directly to the smoker on my 6110 engine (it works great!).

I used one of those resistors and lined the smoke unit with pink insulation. I grounded the resistor to the motor.

The 6110 never had a smoke unit piston but I think it looks more like a real train than those puffer piston Lionels. The smoke flows out more natural and streams back--really cool especially at higher speeds.

Oh too, on the Lionel Library site they claim the scout Lionels can only pull 4
or 5 cars. I've owned 2 so far and both will easily pull 10 cars at high speed. They have loads of power!

As for the chugger I haven't hooked it up yet. You say it works off the engine control? Hum? I didn't know that. I just figured it ran directly off the middle track power. I'll have to check that out.

The train set this tender/chugger came with was junk from day one. I bought this new in the 70's and the transformer was bad and the engine never ran right. You can't beat those old 30's to early 60's Lionels (as far as Lionels go that is).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, parts of all types are cheap right now if purchased used. Right now ebay is at an all-time low in sales so some sellers are giving bargins. It's a buyers market all the way right now.

I've been a seller (Super Seller) for years and I've had to almost stop posting items for sale due to the poor economy. Last month I lost about $100 by having to sell under cost.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
It sounds like spam to me. A post from a newbie to click here. That's why we post to establish credibility. There are good deals around but I am not that desparate. Am I making sense?

I have to balance purchases. between tempting new (to me) and what is needed in parts (a lot). Now is train show time ,so I am saving for the next show.
I haven't noticed a price drop or even a reduction in the number of postings. I heard they did have rate increases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts