Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im liking this setup as a base idea for my future WYE. Love the 12 deg' cross to save space at the triangle. The extra storage tracks makes this even more interesting to me. Multi purpose one might say. This was at the train show I spent too much $$ on this past wknd. Imagine that!
I did however find a complete Roco 3-way turnout a 1/2 hour later for $5 so, I guess I'm on my way...

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
My guess would be it helps round those corners without having to start the curves so soon, but dunno.

ADDED: Actually, never mind... I don't think it helps for the curves.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
FWIW, in the OP he said the 12 degree crossing saves space.:dunno:
Well, yes and no. It saves space on the curves leading on to the Y, but you still need enough room on each leg to get the train past the pointed at the ends of those legs. The length of your trains is going to the the limiting factor

Eyes eat a lot of space, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking again closely, I have say that the 12deg' diamond doesn't look reduce the space needed for the entrance curve trackage towards the wye. If anything, it makes the radius sharper than if using a wye turnout. I dont believe the builder/modeler was trying to achieve anything in particular. More like just having fun with the track.
Frankly; I just like the idea of the sidings on each side of the Y spur.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well if nothing else, it's a conversation starter and as often been stated on the forum, your railroad, your rules.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Those S curves coming off of the turnouts on the right side of the wye would make me raise an eyebrow. They aren't severe, but they don't look like they belong either.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i suppose the crossing does save a little space on the width, but it reduces the number of cars that can be held to the length past the crossing ...
not much point to it other than a conversation starter, lol

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts