Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its baaaack . . . . .

Awhile back, development ground to a halt. But then the project was picked up by someone else and a new fork was created. Many people are not aware of this.
5.2.1 was just released 11 days ago on Jan 2nd and 5.2.2 beta was released a coup[le of days ago.
Here's the link:
sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/

I'll be honest, it's not a very intuitive program, but that's improved with each release, and it is free. (And in fact most CAD programs, RR or otherwise are not very intuitive, so there's that to keep in mind). It does have O gauge track libraries and some accessories and buildings are already modeled. Plus there are tutorials on how to make your own objects and track parts to add to the libraries, which you could then contribute to the project.

You can not only lay out track, but you can draw the wiring and it has a basic ability when it comes to drawing benchwork. It has spline based o scale track in case you are using flex track. It also has a helix generator and a number of other tools.

The wiki is full of tutorials, and there are a number of youtube tutorials too (most videos are a few years old).

5.22 is currently under development with recent progress being made this month.

There is also another open source program called 3Drail that can be used to test out your layout by running a train in a 3d world. Haven't used that function, so can't give you any feedback.

I bought a RR CAD program many years ago that died and have used xtrkCAD on and off since them for both N scale and O scale.

CADRail and 3rdPlanIt are more polished and have more built in features, but then they cost $100 and $130. Worth it if you are building a large or club size layout, but for a 4x8 or even a room size 14x14, they may be way more than you need. (well 14x14 in N or Z can be pretty complex, so it depends on the scale)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its baaaack . . . . .
Quietman, everything that you said is true so no argument there. One thing to keep in mind when selecting a CAD program is using it for other than RR layout purposes. I own CADRail and use it for designing and laying out tools, fixtures, trailer modifications, etc so CADRail is my go to multipurpose computer aided design program.

LeRoy

·
Admin
44,781 Posts
I tried xtrkCAD and found it's user interface quite cryptic. Of course, then I bought RR Track and it's just as bad! I settled on AnyRail and haven't looked back. They have extensive track libraries, and their user Interface is the least convoluted of any that I've tried.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
When did development grind to a halt? I've been using the program and subscribed to their mailing list since 2014, I still see the same developers discussing the program and never noticed a time when there weren't new periodic updates? True, they had a delay before version 5 came out, but that was a HUGE update with a lot of code being rewritten followed by a lot of bug fixes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts