Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
This isn't an Engine, tender or car!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is a prewar, Lionel 127 Station house. The scale is more like "S", than "O"
While it was a bit scary to look at, and I'll be making a roof, it had potential and will do nicely when I get my table done:rolleyes:

Lots of hand sanding. And about 2 hours of trying to get out all the kinks and bends. I ended up using some 1"x2", a small ball peen hammer and a piece of flat steel as a form. Learned some new tricks on this one:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Base, sides and front are all finished. Used Rust-oleum primer and satin paint. The trim pieces are all primed and will get two different colors for windows, doors and moulding.

View attachment 2799

View attachment 2800

View attachment 2801

View attachment 2802

View attachment 2803

View attachment 2804

View attachment 2805

View attachment 2806

View attachment 2807

View attachment 2808

View attachment 2809

View attachment 2810

View attachment 2811

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Very nice, Jim! I think you could easily turn it into a church or schoolhouse, if you wanted to.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmmmmm.........

Good thinking, Len! If I do a church, then I get to build a steeple, and have parking and cars!:D Guess I need to start looking for scale auto's and pick-ups(mostly the later, we being "Red-Necks" here in the South!":laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Don't forget blocks! Ya gotta have lotsa cars up on blocks in the front yards!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Blocks?

Oh yeah, you mean "Jack Stands!":laugh::laugh:

Bob, yours is a, "Gem!" Wish mine looked as good:(
No roof, so that means I can build one:D I've got an old cookie tin lid that will do the job. It's thick, but pliable(like me!)

I noticed that your base had terminal connectors. Mine doesn't. I wonder why? Is it possible I have an earlier version? LED's huh? Sweet! Not gonna go there:laugh::laugh:(yet!)

View attachment 2813

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
And about 2 hours of trying to get out all the kinks and bends. I ended up using some 1"x2", a small ball peen hammer and a piece of flat steel as a form. Learned some new tricks on this one:laugh::laugh::laugh:
"Jim's Anger Management and Aggression Dissipation Lessons, 101" :laugh:

I'm gonna start watching ebay to see if any Steam Rollers get sold to some tinker-type down in Virginia!

Great looking building. I really like the "quatrefoil" windows in the gables ... classy. Reck's right ... sorta chuch-like.

Do you have access to a sheet metal press, or maybe jury-rig something out of some flatbar and some clamps?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Press?

TJ, I think the pictures are poor. The clapboard siding is pressed into the metal, so the back side has this same pattern. Couldn't do much more than I did without flattening out the siding:(

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Milk Glass?

Bob, what's, "Milk Glass?" Where do I get it, and is it easy to work with?(you know us Southern boys are a bit slow):laugh:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Ha ha ...

No, no ... you misunderstood ... I was asking if you had access to a press for making the roof (or flat bar and clamps to bend angles, etc.).

Just curious,

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I see, said the blind man!

Gotch!
No, but I do have a decent wood vise and plenty of scrap pieces. I figure that using those plus clamps will do the trick. What say you?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
For sure I think you can tackle this with clamps, straight edges, etc.

If you want to echo T-Man's original roof, you might consider bending the sheet to just a simple 1-bend angle (the main roof pitch), then adding a ridge via a hobby-store square U-extrusion (or your own U), and edges via hobby-store L-angles ... maybe solder or even glue on, prior to paint? Piecewise might be easier than trying to bend all out of one sheet.

But definitely do-able ... nay ... piece of cake in Stillakid's hands!

Or try Reck's idea and add a steeple or cupola or similar?

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
My milk glass is the plastic from a milk jug. Had to think about that one.
Real milk glass is a white glass used in stained glass work.
THe plastic was held in place by wires in a s shape. I didn't want glue. also my roof is two sections. The flat piece inside holds the chimneys in place. Mine did not have a socket. I had it for years before I figured out how to take the roof off.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Roof

Bob, Did you make the "S" so that it was pressed against the sides and used pressure to hold the cut plastic against the walls/windows? Was it one long piece for each side? How about the the sides?

The brass lamp(it's centered and is attached at the rafter level), is pretty bright. Do you think that one lamp is enough?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

Looking grrrreaaaatttt! Very crisp and classy. I didn't realize that lamp shade was so big in proportion to the building ... I LOVE it! That will look amazing all lit up.

Have fun on vaca ... but remember to sit down IDLE for at least a few minutes (4 or 5, or so), so that you can check off the "did that" box in good faith to your better half!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
Bob, Did you make the "S" so that it was pressed against the sides and used pressure to hold the cut plastic against the walls/windows? Was it one long piece for each side? How about the the sides?

The brass lamp(it's centered and is attached at the rafter level), is pretty bright. Do you think that one lamp is enough?

Thanks,
Jim

The s wires are front and back. The sides are held up by the center support of the roof. One bulb is enough. I also fed two LEDs to the attic for end lighting.

The light bracket may be in the way of the roof.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Jim,

Would you email me your return date from vacation? I want to mail something to you and don't want it cluttering your mailbox for a week. *L*

1 - 20 of 67 Posts