Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new proto f3 in the mail today. One of those good ol eBay finds. Shipped to my house for under $40. Much to my surprise it runs super smooth. I figured I was getting ready to deal with cracked gears or something not a bad deal! Anyone else score any reasonable deals lately?

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Must have been a Proto 1000 F3, there were no Proto 2000 F3's....

Just received a new-in-the-box Proto 2000 GP7 in CB&Q paint on ebay……$47.....fixed the cracked gears and it runs like a Swiss watch! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Yep, Proto 1000....very nice, with less detail parts than Proto 2000 locomotives, but the same smooth drive....

I don't know if the Proto 1000's were affected by cracked gears like the 2000's, but they had the same drives, so....

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
yet another locomotive, who could have thought, :laugh:
i'm sure no one on this board buys extra / "unneeded" locos on the whim ;) /S

congrats. enjoy. make sure SO is not about to hit you with a blunt object.

And!!! I don't care if you got " X in the mail today". make sure to post pictures. we are here for the pictures. don't make us beg for the pictures.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll get pictures tomorrow of some of my train show items from today. I got a bachman spectrum 0-6-0 tank today some heavyweight Milwaukee road passenger cars a p2k e8 running chassis a couple decoders a dummy b unit for my latest eBay find and some Santa Fe heavyweights I’m gonna paint and weather up to make look nicer than a blue box athearn. I need to stop buying passenger cars or I’m gonna have too many that won’t be run

·
Registered
797 Posts
The Proto2000 GP7s and GP9s are remarkably nice engines, considering their age and the prices they can often be found for.

But be aware of the following:
- Many (most?) will have cracked gears on the axles. Easily fixed with either new gears (you pull the wheels off the old gears and put them on the new ones) or completely pre-assembled wheelsets. The "Athearn HO Locomotive Wheel Assembly, 40" (qty 6) ATH40028" are "drop-in" replacements.

- The worm gear and gear boxes will be clogged up with old grease that looks like peanut butter. Can be soaked in alcohol and then cleaned with a toothbrush.

- Some of the engines have an 8-pin plug for dcc, others don't. The ones that DO have the 8-pin plug have "upside down" wiring harnesses that can use a purpose-designed dcc decoder/light board for these models. The replacements work well.

An engine without the 8-pin plug will definitely be more work to convert. Check carefully when shopping!

You may get lucky and find one with replaced gears (some ebay sellers are doing this before listing the items). That saves some work. Just put the decoder in, perhaps change the old bulbs for LEDs, and they run great.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
From what I have been able to find out, that cracked gear problem affected the Proto 2000 locomotives in the blue boxes, made by Lifelike. Then Lifelike changed the boxes to grey, and called them "Limited Edition", but the gear issue remained.

When Walthers bought Lifelike, they initially kept the grey box, but started making them with good gears, and sold them with the words "Walthers" on the back of the box.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw an e8 proto loco at the train show yesterday and it had a 9 pin plug on it. I thought they only came with the older 8 pin plugs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts