Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a strong possibility that York could get canceled. I sure hope not. This is not a rumor.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I hope its true. I certainly would not go, out of that ubiquitous "abundance of caution" we always hear about. The City of Austin cancelled South By Southwest. The Baharain Formula 1 Grand Prix will be run on March 22nd, but there will be no fans in the stands for the race: everyone will have to watch it from home. DOE and other government agencies are canclling all meetings, etc.
The alarming thing about the Covid-19 virus is not howmany people it kills - apparently the mortality rate is about that of a bad flu - but the ease/undetected nature of how commmunicable it is and how fast it spreads among people who at first show no syptoms. Three cases here in the Carolinas convinced me, when I read the details of how each got it/spread it to others, that a "no travel, no where" mind-set is the only way . . .

Besides, in a world with Pat's Trains and e-bay, I hardly need anything else to get all the trains I want, and I'd rather visit with me friends here on the forum and via e-mail than risk their (and me) getting sick by actually getting together.

·
Registered
561 Posts
ive never been to a train show and only got into this since December... and with this new panic from people... guess it will be a while longer. A guy I work with just said he isnt coming to work and will work from home from here on out. He is my boss, but he only told someone else. Once it is said, somehow, I will go that route too.
He lives in Cherry Hill and 2 cases just popped up there. I have to drive by Cherry Hill on my 65 mile commute, and a work from home attitude would ROCK!!!!!

I seldom get sick, dont use hand sanitizer and have a pretty good immune system to which they say this virus attacks the weaker so hopefully I will be ok... Yes I do wash my hands after bathroom and the sort... but I will wrench on my 1978 chevy squarebody covered in mud/grease and grime and wont hesitate to eat my sandwich wihtout washing my hands... all that grease and grime goes well with the sandwich, washed down with a few cold ones!

I heard a basketball championship went on but had 0 fans as well... I dont watch basketball so just heard about it...

but keep us posted on if they cancel it or not.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Right now the chances of so called "community spread" are low ... yet we appear to have it occurring at least a little bit. And so we've put in place some minimal mitigating responses and we'll see if that does anything to the new case load. If not, we either have a choice -- do nothing and let it runs it course, whatever that may be -- or put in place ever more draconian measures similar to say China or South Korea to get the case load down -- which they have both done.

You can see it here on the charts here -- look at the graphs and china and south korea appear to be past "peak" for them.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

·
Admin
44,347 Posts
From someone that should know...

From the President, Dan Danielson:

The Eastern Division Call Center is receiving calls from our members expressing concerns over the Corona Virus and asking the question: will we cancel the April York Train Show. Please be assured I am monitoring the status of the virus, along with the York County Convention Visitors Bureau and the York Expo Fairgrounds.

The Board of Directors will meet and make a decision no later than the first week of April and the decision will be posted on the website & on Facebook. I will update everyone at that time.

I spoke with my Primary Care Physician regarding the virus and he indicated it is similar to the flu making it primarily a cold weather virus. As we look forward to spring, I'm looking forward to April warming up by the 24th.

We want to reassure all members we are monitoring the situation very closely.

·
Registered
561 Posts
From someone that should know...

From the President, Dan Danielson:

The Eastern Division Call Center is receiving calls from our members expressing concerns over the Corona Virus and asking the question: will we cancel the April York Train Show. Please be assured I am monitoring the status of the virus, along with the York County Convention Visitors Bureau and the York Expo Fairgrounds.

The Board of Directors will meet and make a decision no later than the first week of April and the decision will be posted on the website & on Facebook. I will update everyone at that time.

I spoke with my Primary Care Physician regarding the virus and he indicated it is similar to the flu making it primarily a cold weather virus. As we look forward to spring, I'm looking forward to April warming up by the 24th.

We want to reassure all members we are monitoring the situation very closely.

Thx.. i dont follow any news, etc.. so
good to know its a ... COLD Weather item... 74 yesterday!!!! gonna be warm today, albeit, not as warm...

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Railfest 2020 still on this weekend near Cleveland

Railfest 2020 near Cleveland is still on as of Tues morning. Possible that it could change since 3 folks in Northern Ohio are confirmed with the virus. First confirmed cases in Ohio.

Bill

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Thx.. i dont follow any news, etc.. so
good to know its a ... COLD Weather item... 74 yesterday!!!! gonna be warm today, albeit, not as warm...
This is at best a theory based on the behavior of OTHER viruses, and at worst wishful thinking which has no basis in fact. I have seen NO authoritative medical source to suggest that this is accurate.

I have read the NIH discussion on the subject, which says uncategorically that science does not know why some viruses attenuate with warmer weather (it's not the heat: a 98 degree day with 80% humidity replicates conditions in a human host very well) One theory is tha longer days (more UV light, which DOES kill the virus) and people spending more time outdoors, thereby reducing the time spent in crowded, confined spaces which are conducive to virus transmission, is the reason. COvid-19 seems to be too communicable for this to have much effect.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I seldom get sick, dont use hand sanitizer and have a pretty good immune system to which they say this virus attacks the weaker so hopefully I will be ok...
The virus attacks everyone equally if you are exposed to it. Those with weaker immune systems have more chance of their body being overwhelmed by the virus before the immune system can mount an effective defense.

Having a good immune system means you are more likely to get a mild case, or to fight it off without showing symptoms, not that you won't contract the disease. Keep your immune system in top shape by eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, and not smoking.

·
Registered
838 Posts
A j.albert completely off-the-wall prediction:

Within 30 days, we're going to see almost all publicly-scheduled large gatherings everywhere cancelled or postponed...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So what i read is if we are experiencing exponential growth in infections which means doubling of infected every 5-8 days give or take, then you are probably right.

On the other hand, if by some combination of luck (for example seasonal effects) and our own actions (for example, testing/quarantining) -- we level out to linear or even better.

maybe not.

Unfortunately the 2 countries that to me appear to have done the best there are china and s.korea which undertook massive interventionist policies.

then again to be fair they saw the exponential growth and had 1000s of cases on their hands in a short time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
{Snip}
Unfortunately the 2 countries that to me appear to have done the best there are china and s.korea which undertook massive interventionist policies.

then again to be fair they saw the exponential growth and had 1000s of cases on their hands in a short time.
The USA will never be able to have the same response as China. I see a declaration of martial law anywhere in the USA firmly in the "fart in church" column.

·
Admin
44,347 Posts
You beat me to that, no way we're going to get away with the draconian measures that were taken in those examples. China can kill 100's of people in a demonstration and never miss a beat, they have a totally different power structure there.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Is April York in jeopardy

The way every large indoor event is being cancelled to spectators the last few days it would seem that April York could also be doomed. Especially since a very large percentage of attendees are in the potential high risk category.

Bill

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I would say the odds are likely it will close. They just closed all the state universities in New York as well as many of the large private universities here. Closures are accelerating.

Pete

1 - 20 of 43 Posts