Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am planning a new layout construction, in a building that will see some renovations, before I start, I was wondering if I should consider doing a series of videos, that shows the progress of the build. I just hate being in front of the camera, but might consider doing it.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Well, you don't have to be in front of the camera. You can be behind it, talking and explaining as you show what you are building. That would be interesting.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Absolutely do the "behind the camera" narration! Perhaps you could show and explain some new things to us less experienced modelers. And be sure to include any mistakes you might make...we all can learn from others' work. Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: Andy57

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Honestly, my vote would be for progress photos. If you're not doing a "how to" video, then you probably won't have a lot of content. Personally, I'd rather take 30 seconds to see the progress in a couple of photos than spend several minutes watching a video, only to end up in the same place.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The internet does not have room for another video :rolleyes:

Reactions: Andy57

·
Registered
503 Posts
Personally I prefer pictures with a brief write up. It makes it easier to see the details. I feel videos should be reserved for things that are moving, like trains running, where pictures just don't do them justice. Before pictures are really nice.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The internet does not have room for another video :rolleyes:
I've got 21TB of free space at home. I bet youtube has even more...

@cfurnari - Progress videos or photos will come in handy more often than you can imagine. I can't tell you how many times I've started taking progress pics of a new project, constantly asking myself "does anyone really care?", only to get mid way through and realize I've forgotten some detail that is now buried in a framework or disassembled with no memory of how it went back together. I stopped caring about who might see my pics (although I do enjoy posting my own progress and seeing other's), and now I take pics of everything that might matter later on.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I certainly wasn't making any value judgement on what one might want to do to document a process for one's own use later on. I am merely stating that for 99% of the times when you're providing an update to others, a picture tells a thousand words, but a video wastes 3 minutes to get to the point.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I tend to agree. I want to see photos of the work in progress. I want to see the videos of the results.

I make and post plenty of videos of my trains running, but not once have I ever made a how-to video. I save that for the photos.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've got 21TB of free space at home. I bet youtube has even more...

@cfurnari - Progress videos or photos will come in handy more often than you can imagine. I can't tell you how many times I've started taking progress pics of a new project, constantly asking myself "does anyone really care?", only to get mid way through and realize I've forgotten some detail that is now buried in a framework or disassembled with no memory of how it went back together. I stopped caring about who might see my pics (although I do enjoy posting my own progress and seeing other's), and now I take pics of everything that might matter later on.
Seriously, I do care. Why? Because I regard model railroading as folk art. Folk art is a home grown expression of one’s world, past or present. The experience of “fellow travelers “ is usually interesting. Secondly, to borrow something out of Genesis, we are created in His image. Thus we are mini-creators. Thus, creating something, whether detailed to the last rivet, or as in my case, somewhere in the ball park (hold the smart remarks about ‘left field,’ and thank you), it is a spiritual act, in my perspective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts