Model Train Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This has always been a favorite of mine. I had several of these cars on my last US based railroad.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have always loved those KCS covered hoppers. Is that one you have made by Athearn or Scaletrains? I do not own any yet but I have been eye balling them for a while now.

Does anyone own any of the BMLA rolling stock? They are a pretty penny per car and I have wondered how good they are on the tracks. They look very realistic to me so I plan to buy a few soon to see how good they are. The more realistic is the only way I go. Every thing in scale and looking as close to the real thing as possible is a must.

·
Premium Member
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
... Is that one you have made by Athearn or Scaletrains?
The one I've shown is a RivetCounter by ScaleTrains... outrageous detail(!). I have several different car numbers.
Both MSRP's were about the same.
Besides the Southern Belle, Athearn produced the KCS model in at least two other paint schemes.
The interesting thing is, that ScaleTrains is a Gunderson version, while Athearn calls it a Trinity. I haven't been able to confirm or reconcile either one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The one I've shown is a RivetCounter by ScaleTrains... outrageous detail(!). I have several different car numbers.
Both MSRP's were about the same.
Besides the Southern Belle, Athearn produced the KCS model in at least two other paint schemes.
The interesting thing is, that ScaleTrains is a Gunderson version, while Athearn calls it a Trinity. I haven't been able to confirm or reconcile either one.
Yeah I knew it was ST or Athearn which happen to be 2 of my favorite brands. That black looks sharp with the yellow/gold. Speaking of ST KCS covered hoppers today is the ETA of a new shipment of these cars in black - yellow/gold or green - yellow/gold. I didn't pre-order any of them but may very well pick up 4 or so of the black ones if any are left after the dust settles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only other ScaleTrains KCS versions I was aware of:
View attachment 542932 View attachment 542933
You are correct. I thought that looked funny on ST's website a green and yellow/gold version but that's how they present the pictures for some reason. I looked a bit closer and all of the road numbers are inline with them all being the black and yellow/gold color.

They have changed the availability now from the "ETA 5/21/20" to in stock but as usual just about every one of them are already showing "less than 12 available". I have 8 in my cart now - 1 of each road number currently available but I was thinking on it to be sure. I guess I will go with the 8 for now being they are in stock because they will not be for long.

I also like the solid white ones you posted and they have them. Man it a tough choice because I like them both a lot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went ahead and purchase 8 of the black KCS on Scaletrains and 4 of the white ones. Just over night 5 of the black road numbers already sold out. I guess I got my order in just in time to get 8 different road numbers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I enjoy unit trains. Coal drags, grain hoppers, reefers. I like them all. I am especially fond of the 40-foot ice loaded reefers. This takes me back to my childhood when in a single day I would see 4-6 trains each day bringing fruit from the west coast to Chicago and meat headed from Chicago to the west coast.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts