Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your first train or train set and do you still have it? Here's mine... from Christmas of 1960. Nowadays, it mostly sits on display with other trains.

This is intended for all-scale discussion. Electric, wind-up, battery powered or push-along type trains. Hopefully, this topic has not been discussed before.

DSC02469.JPG

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, when I was about 2 or 3 I got a wooden pull-toy train that had a loco and a couple of cars. I remember trying to drag my fingers across the carpet to raise the nap a bit to sort of look like rails to pull the train along. First electric train set was a Marx set - had a pair of F-unit locos (one a dummy) in SP paint, 3 cars (IIRC) and a caboose. Once in a while I see that set at train shows.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Mine was the Lionel 600 diesel switch engine. I cannot remember what cars it had, but I faintly remember a gondola and a flat car. My Mom gave it away while I was in the Air Force...wish I still had it. It had no great $$ value, but was dear to my heart while I was a kid.

Mine had the black frame and rails, as I remember...and definitely had the 2-axle magnetraction.

https://postwarlionel.com/motive-power/diesels/nw2-switcher/600-mkt/

·
Registered
181 Posts
In about 1965 mom and Dad (yes Mom gets credit too) bought a used set from a family friend and Dad set it up for Christmas. It is an American Flyer 290 and a 300 AC with a handful of cars (red box car, yellow box car, flat car, grey hopper and a few red cabooses). I still have them and the sight of the set with the colorful cars takes me right back. I have always wanted to refurbish them. What a blast my brother and I had playing with them at Christmas on the 4x8 layout that was still way too big for our small house. But Mom and Dad put up with it for our sake...and Dad had a little bit of fun with it too.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I received a Lionel set when I was two years old, but don't remember it for a couple of years later. That would have been 1964 when it was a Christmas present.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine was an American Flyer passenger set. Green New Haven coaches and a steamer. I forget which model but I’m thinking an Atlantic. Also had the ‘talking’ station with it.
Later on we got a NH EP-5. That was a sweet loco.
I still have the Penn Line HO passenger set that I got in 1963.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Never had a train set, per se. My father got a bunch of stuff a la carte and put it under the Chrismas Tree. That was 1971. That stuff served me through my teenage years, until girls, cars, and sports pulled me away. Then college and the Navy kept me away. The whole shebang was given to my cousin. In 2001, they shipped it all back. A bunch of new stuff, but some of the old is still soldiering along, even today. Most of it has been given away or sold, though, in favor of a layout with a more unified theme (1950s New Haven).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Mine would have been a Lionel 2026 handed down from my brother.

It was a set from the 50's. Loco/tender, tanker, gondola, caboose.

I probably claimed rights around 60-63. Had it set up in basement on 4X8 covered with grass roll paper. Oval with passing siding.

It's still here somewhere!! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great thread.

My first layout was a Triang Hornby, probably the late 60s / early 70s from my Uncle George. I kept the steam locomotive and will eventually put it in a place of honour somewhere on my latest layout :)

I also had the Triang Hornby book of layouts. I had Layout 1 (or maybe 2) and dreamed of one day having Layout 20 (or whatever layout was at the very end of the book!)

Mike

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great thread.

My first layout was a Triang Hornby, probably the late 60s / early 70s from my Uncle George. I kept the steam locomotive and will eventually put it in a place of honour somewhere on my latest layout :)

I also had the Triang Hornby book of layouts. I had Layout 1 (or maybe 2) and dreamed of one day having Layout 20 (or whatever layout was at the very end of the book!)

Mike

·
Registered
467 Posts
My first train set that I remember was a Lionel 3 rail. It was an oval mounted to a board that folded up against the wall. It was always there according to my memory. That was in the early 60s and thanks to my mom. Later mom got me a Marklin HO set which disappeared over the years.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I barely remember it but mine was a yellow wind up strange looking diesel and some cars. Later I got a Marx NYC steamer and some freight cars. We lived in a small apartment so it only came out at Christmas.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
There are likely few of you who can remember
the annual Sears Christmas catalog...it was full of
toys, decorations and other gift ideas. Us 'kids'
always looked forward to it and it became the
'wish book'.

For me, that 1941 Sears wish book showed a
$10.98 Marx electric train with 2 turnouts.
Hardly a day passed without turning to the pages
to that train. And, it came to pass, come
Christmas Eve, there it was in all it's tin plate
glory. A very happy little 11 y/o Donnie.

Don

·
Registered
825 Posts
I didn't get a set, just a couple of boxes of what I suppose was a dismantled layout at a yard sale. Bought it with a weeks worth of lawn mowing money, so it didn't cost much. I think I was about 12 y/o, so that would have been 1975. With the next weeks "pay" I got what I needed to make a couple of sawhorses, a sheet of 4x8 plywood, some green paint for grass and went to town. I don't remember what locos or cars I had, but I had enough track to make the oval with one siding and one spur. I do remember that styrofoam mountain/tunnel. More lawn mowing begat buildings, trees and other scenery.

Then we had to move and the layout couldn't go. Sold it to a kid from church. He wanted it "as is", so his dad came with his pickup (with camper shell) and slid the whole 4x8 sheet in the bed (minus locos & cars of course) and away it went.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first would be a bunch of wooden Thomas the Train I played with as a toddler. As I got older, I was allowed to play with my fathers trains he had as a child in the 50s. A few years later when the interest peaked, I was gifted the Polar Express as my first official train set, which was expertly tested and hidden by my father right before christmas morning. Along with that came a bunch of Atlas track, to help get a layout up and running.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first set was the Hogwart's Express. (first release somewhere around 2007, without the bluetooth) It's seen a few minutes runtime here and there over the years but mostly just sits in it's box, waiting for Salma Hayek to move me into her mansion where I'll have space to set up an O gauge layout.

I never had a train set as a child!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts