Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine wasnt actually mine, my grandad bought it for me, but kept it, got it out a few times when I was 3 or 4, but that's all remember, it was a hornby flying scotsman, it actually became mine last year after my nan moved to a nursing home and we had to clean out the house... it was broken when I finally got it, but I found a replacement body and now it sits in a nice trunk awaiting me to build a layout.... 20181115_151909_1570559948893.jpg here she is with the broken body.. somewhere on this forum is a pic with the new body, probably over in oo.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My first set was at Christmas 1972. I don’t remember the maker but it was HO and had red Alco Century unit, Lehigh Valley, and five cars, track and transformer.

The motor in the locomotive was rusted solid. My father returned it to Sears, I think.
They said a number of sets were damaged by water in the store room.

Never got a replacement. Never had trains given to me again after that...

Tom

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Never got a replacement. Never had trains given to me again after that...
Man, that's sad! I bet a psycho-analyst could have a ball figuring out why you are the way you are...all because you didn't get a toy train as a kid. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
It would answer a lot of questions! Lol.

I got into model trains on my own. Not much parental guidance...

Tom

·
Registered
747 Posts
LifeLike Toys R Us Express set around 1986 or so.

Money was really tight and I'm pretty sure it was the best they could afford. The next year they got me a slightly better LifeLike set with a SF GP38-2, and an operating tipping logging car.

Not my pic below, but I'm pretty sure this was the same box. It's definitely the same cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
In the mid 60s, my Dad and his best friend stayed up all Christmas Eve building the main oval on a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood, that would become a layout out of the Atlas book, "Six HO Layouts You Can Build". I can't say much about the make of the locos and rolling stock, but the locos were a Bangor & Aroostook F (7?), and a C&O GP. In an act of foolishness, I sold it as I was entering adulthood, to a guy that I bought my first motorcycle from. I ran into him just a few years ago, and he has no idea what happened to it.

As a side note, about 25 years ago, I had the opportunity to meet the man that illustrated that book (as well as other books). Thaddeus Stepak's daughter worked in my wife's office. He and his friends gathered weekly to play trains. Sadly, he passed before I could act on that opportunity.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Mine was the Marx set below.
I was playing with it on our back porch in 1952. I forgot and left the box out all night, when the trash man came the next morning and took it. I'm sure he knew it was not trash. I finally got another set about 20 years ago. I have never set it up. I'm afraid I might forget it again, my memory is about as good as it was in 1952..

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first train was a Lionel set in 1948. My grandfather got it for me and built in on a 4 X 8 foot table. He built a 2" green fence all around the layout so it wouldn't fall off the table. I had the depot, the tower lights and and 4 turnouts that had lights to tell which way the turnout was thrown. It had smoke pellets for the engine and the only car I remember was the red search light car. I was 4 years old then and really wish I still had it.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Mine was the Marx set below.
I was playing with it on our back porch in 1952. I forgot and left the box out all night, when the trash man came the next morning and took it. I'm sure he knew it was not trash. I finally got another set about 20 years ago. I have never set it up. I'm afraid I might forget it again, my memory is about as good as it was in 1952..

Dan
Beautiful train set! Always nice to see the original box as well!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine was a Tyco Switcher set with 3 cars and 36” circle of track at 7 years old , and transformed itself into a half of a basement layout. 3, 4x8’ 2, 4x4’ and a 4x5’ layout in a e shape and run 7 trains at once. But this took years and a lot of leaves being raked, lawns being mowed, and digs being walked, until I got a real job and then had to take it all down because of company Christmas parties for my moms employer. But ah the memories!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
What a great topic, Doug. I don't know why I'm posting here because the truth is I don't really remember. I can't even remember if it was for Xmas or a birthday or something else... and many of you even have pictures! I'm jealous

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my first one was an HO oval with some piers to elevate one side of track. An F Unit engine (Santa Fe, I'm pretty sure) and probably 5 cars.

Enjoyed reading this thread so I just wanted to join in!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine was given to me at Christmas in 1984 by my Aunt. It was a Model Power HO set. IT had a Blue Conrail F9 Diesel, an orange Tropicana Reefer, a red tank car, a black gondola, a brown swine car, a brown Conrail boxcar and a caboose. I remember that the engine broke several days later. I have since re-purchased the train set individual cars from train shows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First Train set

My first set was a Marx steamer around 1952 when I was 10 years old.. It was a full layout, but was set up and taken down on every occasion it was used. It somehow was lost in a move or two. Next set was an HO for my boys. Sold it at a garage sale. Then about four years ago, we got back in; me with HO and O, and my wife with HO and N-scale. It is a great hobby.

·
Registered
436 Posts
HO set in late 1950s. Cannot remember the brand, but had dock with milk car and it would unload milk cans with an electric button.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It was 1980, when i was 10 years old.
Santa brought me a Ho scale tyco silver streak train set.
I will never forget how just about every month dad would have to run to the hobby shop to get me a new gear " the small one on the loco drive motor ". That gear stripped out more times than i can remember.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts