Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out Z scale trains today at the hobby shop and am amazed by how small they are. Does anyone here have a Z scale layout that they can post pics of?
I also heard somewhere that there is an even smaller scale. That I have got to see.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking about it more and wonder what it would look like to have a z scale set running in the background of my n scale one.
I have room for it on the same layout.
Maybe the model RR fairy will send me a check for a z scale set. lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually you are right and it is a cool idea to add real depth. I will have to do it on a different layout though. I do not feel like changing to current one that much and I still have plenty of room and track for my next project. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
We got some inexpensive Z scale people and were thinking about getting some other Z scale items (cars, buildings) to use in the background of an N scale layout. eg Picnic site on the side of a mountain

Steve

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was at the hobby shop this weekend I looked for n scale people and they were soo small I didn't get any. I asked about t scale and was told there is tt scale , not t scale. The least expensive z scale kit was almost $200 so I passed for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
kabob51650

I have been thinking about it more and wonder what it would look like to have a z scale set running in the background of my n scale one.
I have room for it on the same layout.
Maybe the model RR fairy will send me a check for a z scale set. lol
people have done that with larger scales and it worked out fine.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yes, smaller certainly doesn't always mean cheaper!
That is so true, especially since model trains are now like any other electronic device... After a while as technology advances, the smaller chips will become cheaper to produce and the price of Z scale trains will go down... At that time they will have something even smaller though, LOL... Anyone remember "Micro Machines"? They were one of my favorite toys when I was younger... We will probably have model trains in that scale pretty soon, LOL ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you want small, look at http://www.oobject.com/tiniest-gadgets/worlds-smallest-model-railroad/279/ or http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/ty_scale.htm

They are 1:900.

BTW, according to http://www.puremicros.com/gscale.html, Micro Machines were larger than N scale, but some people use them in their N scale layouts due to the variety available.

Steve
LOL, I have never even seen a Z scale train so I have no clue how big they are... So you mean that the train along side this layout is as big as a Micro Machine? :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think they are just on & off. Definitely just go round & round. The train is NOT powered. It is being pulled around.

But if you want to watch a teeny-tiny train go round & round...

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
B&M:

The 2008 Ford F-150 pickup pictured at the Ford web-site is 211" long x 79" wide x 75.6" tall.

real: 211 x 79 x 75.6 inches
HO: 2.43 x 0.93 x 0.87 inches (about 2 1/2 x 1 x 7/8)
N: 1.32 x 0.49 x 0.47 inches (about 1 1/4 x 1/2 x 1/2)
Z: 0.96 x 0.36 x 0.34 inches (about 1 x 3/8 x 3/8)

So how big is a Micro Machines pickup truck?

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what are some advantages and disadvantages of Z scale?
Obviously its smaller so you can fit it in a smaller space or do more with your existing space. It also costs more.

Do the trains run as well as Ho or N scale? Do they derail more? Does Z scale have flywheels or variabel speeds? Can you actually do hooking operations and operate the layout like people do with Ho or N? (not that I am sure i want to do that) Can you use DCC with Z scale?

Since I am planning a layout I will probably go N, but there is a certain appeal of using my space that would accomodate a modest N scale layout and creating a huge Z scale layout. Cost isn't really a factor as I can't really afford any scale but i will buy it anyway =p I will probably scratch build a lot of buildings no matter what scale I do as that is where most of the fun comes for me. I don't care about prototyping as I don't care if a horn on my train is the exact replica of the horn used on that train in that time period. I just want the layout to look nice and run nicely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts