Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ZEP is a pre moistened rough paper towel soaked in glycol ether, it is an industrial degreaser that is NOT WATER BASED, it will not induce rust. made specifically for engines, tools, etc. removes oil, grease and adhesives. makes an instant and REALLY effective track cleaner.

Glycol ethers are a group of solvents based on alkyl ethers of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol commonly used in paints and cleaners. These solvents typically have a higher boiling point, together with the favorable solvent properties of lower-molecular weight ethers and alcohols. The word "Cellosolve" was registered in 1924 as a United States trademark by Carbide & Carbon Chemicals Corp. (later named Union Carbide Corp.) for "Solvents for Gums, Resins, Cellulose Esters, and the Like",; the first one was ethyl cellosolve (ethylene glycol monoethyl ether), with the name now generic for glycol ethers.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,865 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
My only concern was the reaction it may have with Zinc Drivers, like on Marx vintage locomotives. I searched the reactions to Glycol on Zinc, and the results I got was it should not effect Zinc.

HOWEVER:

On Page 2 section 10 of the posted Material Safety Data Sheet, It states that ZEP, "

"Incompatibility-----Reactive with oxidizing agents, metals, acids.

My concern is that the added ingredients to the Glycol are the ones effecting metals. Does anyone have any idea if ZEP may adversely effect Zinc Drivers.
Other than that concern, it looks like a great cleaner. Once again my concern is Zinc, If you have noticed that once the new Lincoln cents, which are Copper plated zinc, are exposed to air, they rot fast. I would hate to run a loco and put it away and later take it out and the drivers were toast.

Dan

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My only concern was the reaction it may have with Zinc Drivers, like on Marx vintage locomotives.
Zep's purple greaser contains Sodium Hydroxide (a strong lye). It doesn't react with metals such as steel. In fact the alkali base prevents rust.

But Zinc is a different story. Real world conditions, moisture in the air can change everything. From Wikipedia:

Zinc.png

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,865 Posts
Zep's purple greaser contains Sodium Hydroxide (a strong lye). It doesn't react with metals such as steel. In fact the alkali base prevents rust.

Chemical drain cleaners use sodium hydroxide (caustic soda or lye) or sulfuric acid. They are extremely corrosive to organic materials and many metals. A chemical cleaner will clear a clog quickly, but it can also burn through your clothes and skin.
That is why you don't leave the drain cleaner in for a long time.

Now it all depends on the strength of the solution Zep uses.
It is probably not as strong as the drain cleaners.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

Chemical drain cleaners use sodium hydroxide (caustic soda or lye) or sulfuric acid. They are extremely corrosive to organic materials and many metals. A chemical cleaner will clear a clog quickly, but it can also burn through your clothes and skin.
That is why you don't leave the drain cleaner in for a long time.

Now it all depends on the strength of the solution Zep uses.
It is probably not as strong as the drain cleaners.
Sodium Hydroxide, an Alkali, is corrosive to amphoteric metals (aluminum, zinc, lead, etc.) but not steel or copper (in all but the highest concentrations, far, far higher concentration than any household product).

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,865 Posts
My only concern was the reaction it may have with Zinc Drivers, like on Marx vintage locomotives. I searched the reactions to Glycol on Zinc, and the results I got was it should not effect Zinc.

HOWEVER:

On Page 2 section 10 of the posted Material Safety Data Sheet, It states that ZEP, "

"Incompatibility-----Reactive with oxidizing agents, metals, acids.

My concern is that the added ingredients to the Glycol are the ones effecting metals. Does anyone have any idea if ZEP may adversely effect Zinc Drivers.
Other than that concern, it looks like a great cleaner. Once again my concern is Zinc, If you have noticed that once the new Lincoln cents, which are Copper plated zinc, are exposed to air, they rot fast. I would hate to run a loco and put it away and later take it out and the drivers were toast.

Dan
Sodium Hydroxide, an Alkali, is corrosive to amphoteric metals (aluminum, zinc, lead, etc.) but not steel or copper (in all but the highest concentrations, far, far higher concentration than any household product).

Yes and Panther's concern was with ZINC. :smokin:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,865 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts