Model Train Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Did I say Rectifier? [blush]. Yes. 10A10 Diode. :eek:

The explosion was so violent it bent the top lead back and shorted on the frame (I bent it back in the photo). Thanks for the pointer to digikey but I had already ordered 2 replacement Diodes from mouser.com and since I was paying $8 shipping, threw in a 40amp 600v Stud Rectifier using the part number recommended by Tranz4mr. I got options. :)
Diodes rectify. My opinion from an old geaser!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It sounds like you blew the rectifier disk on the d handle. This is usually because the whistle switch is worn and gets stuck on, overheating the disk. On the A side the contacts in the whistle switch either need adjusting or need to be replaced.

Kent Schwarz
Website www.tranz4mr.com
Email Tranz4mr at Tranz4mr dot com
I think this is probable. During the return travel of the D whistle, the lever does not fully return to center (about 1/8"). The A side switch is smooth as glass.

From what I can see on the D side, the contacts touch even though the lever doesn't fully return. But I'm thinking I cannot see the faulty part of the switch inside the handle. I looked at the Tranz4mr site. Is there a tutorial someplace for accessing the switch?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts