Model Train Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well thanks a lot Team, you guys have done it now! With this report of O scale between 1:43 - 1:55 you have me in a quandary. I currently run. 1:32 and/or HO in Slot cars, not a huge fan of HO because they just look like a colored dot zooming around the track, can't really tell they are actually cars. The 1:32 is most popular and very much car like; but now I can see where the 1:43 scale Slots will compliment my O scale trains more better. I am thinking I will have to start completely over in the Slot Car business. Woe is me.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Well thanks a lot Team, you guys have done it now! With this report of O scale between 1:43 - 1:55 you have me in a quandary. I currently run. 1:32 and/or HO in Slot cars, not a huge fan of HO because they just look like a colored dot zooming around the track, can't really tell they are actually cars. The 1:32 is most popular and very much car like; but now I can see where the 1:43 scale Slots will compliment my O scale trains more better. I am thinking I will have to start completely over in the Slot Car business. Woe is me.
I:43 slot cars are much closer and more realistic on an O-Gauge layout than 1:43, 1:87, or 1:64. I thought long and hard about going with them instead of 'Streets ten years ago when I wanted O-Gauge cars and trucks on my layout. You can't race "Streets cars well, but they run at much slower scale speeds and without hassle, so I'm happy. But racing slots cars is fun and I wish I had room for a 1:43 racetrack on my layout.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Over on the OGR forum there used to be a huge thread on intermodal equipment. The thread got deleted a few years ago, and it has never been built back up to its original wealth of information.

When it comes to various sizes in O gauge railroading, containers and intermodal equipment provide a wealth of confusion and inconsistency.:confused:

Is there a comprehensive listing of the various container dimensions from O gauge suppliers (Lionel, MTH, Atlas, K-Line, Weaver, ROW, others, and with this week's announcement, Menards)?
What brands of containers can be stacked on each other?
What brands of containers will fit in what brands of intermodal stack cars?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great thread! Santa brought my first 027 in 1951. I could never get the later-added 2500 series passenger cars to run well and, at the time, couldn't figure out why Lionel made them so big. I found big radius 027 curves and switches just a few years ago that let them run.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Decided I needed some more trucks on the layout. Went to Diecast direct and amazon and picked out a few that looked good. 1/43, two made by K-Line so I thought they would be OK. 4 of the 5, including the K-Line, were HUGE. Nearly a foot long. Said 1/43 of the box. Could not possibly be right. Right?

The fifth one just arrived and is what I expected. Thankfully.

Yikes.

Can you explain that?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
Sounds like you got a different scale?
Someone there s crewed up?

C

·
0 Posts
They may be 1/43 scale Forrest. Use a scale person to check the door size. If the door size looks right then it's the right scale. Trucks are pretty big.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The K-Line pictured is K-8110TT. The other item is NewRay, but I am uncertain of the part number. I bought 2 K-line items and two NewRay, All from DieCast Direct. All listed as 1/43. The NewRay shows 1/43 on the box That is a 16 inch ruler in the picture. All four are around 16 inches long. They dwarf the other 143 items i have.

according to Wikipedia, 1/43 trucks are larger than other 1/43 vehicles. "There are many manufacturers in 1:43 scale producing everything from customized and accurate race cars to emergency vehicles, family sedans and SUVs. Trucks and tractor trailers can also be found in this scale, but they are comparatively larger...'

go figure.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

·
Admin
43,203 Posts
A 40 foot trailer is a very common item on the roads, that equates for a 10" long 1:48 scale trailer. Add the size of the tractor and it's around a foot. 1:43 will be even larger. FWIW, there are trailers as long as 50' driving the roads.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,314 Posts
I went through my pictures here to try to find a picture for size reference. I know I have one somewhere of my truck and tanker sitting next to a RR tanker car but can't find it.
Look at this tankers size compared to the locomotive behind it.
Now in your mind turn it sideways next to the Locomotive. :D

P4280020.JPG

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought I would contribute more photos to this thread. On the left is a Lionel 6464-style traditional O gauge boxcar made in 1996 and on the right is a Lionel PS-1 O Scale (1:48) boxcar made in 2005.

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
O scale track

Is there a difference between Atlas O 2-rail and Atlas O 3-rail track other than the obvious missing center rail?

It's the same width right?

Anyone else make prototypical 2 rail O track?

I'm tinkering with a battery conversion that will be a wasted effort if there is no 2 rail O to run it on.

Thanks.

p.s. Nobody mentions price. ;) I always thought HO meant Half price O.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts