Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was up in the third floor and ran trains - set up and ran my entire layout, for the first time in over four months. When my wife died I just lost interest in them. I can't explain why but it was like a switch went off. Months went by without my even going up there. Rats could have set up shop in the layout, for all I knew.
But my oldest boy and his family are coming tomorrow for Thanksgiving, and my grandkids, who I have not seen in several years due to my late wifes long illness, asked their dad if I still had my trains. Last time they were here they loved the trains . . . My son told me they were looking forward to them again. So I spent yesterday up there. There were no rats nests - nothing to be concerned about. I did have to vaccuum dust off of everything, and I wore out two track erasers hand polishing three hundred plus feet of track, then servicing and setting up locos and trains. All three I am running are are LC+ locos so the grandkids can run them with the remotes.
What is good about a layout and model trains is, except for the track tarnishing a bit, and the locos needing oil, etc., it all works even if left alone for months. Everything worked, even the operating modified slots car street system I made.
I must admit it was fun this morning. Although I do not feel as much enthusiasm as I once did for them, they are fun, and I did look at the back quarter of the layout, which is all torn up in anticipation of re-doing the south end of my downtown area, and think "that might be fun." So, I will be running trains alot this week I think, and maybe, over the winter, rebuilding upper Main Street area, and Detective Avenue again.
Train Transport hub Toy Building Rolling stock
Building Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, Thanksgiving is over at the Willis household, at least for this year. It was good to see my oldest boy and his wife, but its the grandkids I seldom get to see - the parents often stop by when they travel on business. The grandkids I almost never see. I got to spend a morning at a bookstore with my 14-year old granddaughter which was truly magical. She loves science fiction, as do I (at least when it is good), and we spent an hour browing the sci-fi section and talkong about our favorite authors, and then nearly two more hours in the coffee shop section just talking about books. She never got to see my trains and I don't think she really was that interested. The next day she went off with her Mom, aunt, and various other women to visit wineries, while the buys all came over here, and played with the trains and then watched the World Cup.
My 12-year old grandson and his father were delighted to see the trains and to each grab a LC+ remote and control one of them for a while. Botht hought the train room was just fantastic, with its wall to wall shelves of trains, and all the trains running. My grandson has an eye for detail, like his great grandfather-- my Dad - did. He said he like running the train but loved just exploring the layout with "all the tiny detail." He caught a lot of it too, from a law office with his Uncle's name on it downtown, to the building with his Dad's business on it, to the Mama Bear and cub out in the rocky stream, fishing for salmon . . . to the people at dinner in the rooftop restaurant above the Woolworths downtown. He did ask me what a Woolworths was, which made me feel very old . . . So the trains were a hit. We had a good afternoon with them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts