Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
1.9 meters. The baseboard is an Ikea 'Lack' shelf, that comes with a metal framework to enable effectively invisible mounting to the wall. The shelf itself is ultra-lightweight.

That is a nice setup. Your shelf layout is a little bit longer than mine.

Ed
Yes, well, we finally have rain, at least in our part of the country (not sure about the bushfire areas) and I've discovered a leak in the roof right above the layout. So I need to get topside with some silicon.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I've been looking through your PDF with some interest, as I think a switching shelf layout could give me a great platform to design some computer control code with. In particular I'm looking at the "modern industrial" L-shaped shelf on page 41 (which I've compressed down to 72" legs and only 12" deep -- doesn't leave much room for scenery but it still gives me the same track work).

I'm curious if this allows for any common puzzles that I could work with? I like how this plan has two distinct types of areas, I'm just not too familiar with how operations might work within these areas so I was hoping someone might point out some applicable puzzles I could apply to this design?

[Edit] I just realized that the business section of this layout is a slightly expanded version of the classic 'timesaver' puzzle. That helps a lot in finding puzzles I can run through this track! Now I just have to find some puzzles for yard section...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I've been looking through your PDF with some interest, as I think a switching shelf layout could give me a great platform to design some computer control code with. In particular I'm looking at the "modern industrial" L-shaped shelf on page 41 (which I've compressed down to 72" legs and only 12" deep -- doesn't leave much room for scenery but it still gives me the same track work).

I'm curious if this allows for any common puzzles that I could work with? I like how this plan has two distinct types of areas, I'm just not too familiar with how operations might work within these areas so I was hoping someone might point out some applicable puzzles I could apply to this design?

[Edit] I just realized that the business section of this layout is a slightly expanded version of the classic 'timesaver' puzzle. That helps a lot in finding puzzles I can run through this track! Now I just have to find some puzzles for yard section...
Shdwdrgn, Look up John Allens time saver puzzle on line to get an idea how it works. It is set up so only two 40 ft cars and a short switcher will fit on two of the tracks. Other tracks will allow three cars and an engine. You can apply that to you shelf layout.

Here is a time saver in O scale.

Ed

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yep, there's actually a good description here showing exactly how many cars should fit at each position of the layout. The shelf layout I'm looking at has the mainline running through that straight section so the dimensions are exceeded there, but I can work with that since I know the parameters. The main goal is to try and get the computer to perform the entire switching operation unattended and this seems like a good test case to work with.

I've also been looking at the Inglenook Sidings, which seems like it can be applied to any generic yard layout and provides more puzzles for me to work with on the other leg of the shelf. Now I just need to build 15 turnouts and pick up three more boxes of flex track in order to put this together!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Shdwdrgn, I hope you post pictures of you progress. It sound very interesting.

Ed

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Here's the track plan I have worked up so far (grid lines are in feet). Due to the compression the large curve in only 18R, but the turnouts are all about 21R. I was thinking I could simulate mainline traffic with one of those programmable LED strip lights. When I have everything working right, the computer should always know where each loco and car are sitting, and thus should be able to detect a collision if one of the switchers doesn't get out of the way in time. Otherwise switching operations will make use of the mainline track, which is similar to the setup I have for my planned layout.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Nice layout. And you have a runaround on each leg. You can install background flats against the wall for some scenery. They are 1/4" thick. They make them for O and HO scale.

Check out HO scale background building flats on Ebay.

Ed

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Thanks, but it's not my design. :) That's almost straight from your PDF, with one small siding removed and everything sorted to fit on a 12" shelf. It barely keeps the required sizes for the timesaver puzzle, but I tried to maintain the spirit of the original in a much smaller space. The left leg was the real challenge. All tracks maintain a 2" center-to-center except for the three yard tracks, which were dropped to 1-7/8". That extra 1/4" of space goes a long ways when you're that close to the edge! :)

At this point I'm barely thinking about backdrops. I'll be happy if I can fit in some simple landscaping, but we'll see how it goes. I'm not even sure if I'll try to use foam, I may just build it right on a piece of plywood. Since this is mostly a test piece to try and work out sensors and such, I may end up tearing things apart a few times as I go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's my HO scale switching layout. All the track has been laid except for the chemical facility and some buildings are in place. Ended up making the storage yard a bit bigger.

Final Plan.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Progress on the train shed within the workshop.

It's taking a while but it's getting there. Silicon on the roof didn't fix the leak, but silicon from below seems to have done the trick. Regardless, I'm still going to install a sloping roof, insulated for summer heat and winter cold, so any water that does get in to the main workshop will (in theory) be well and truly deflected from the train bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update to my shelf layout

Here's an update. I looooooove the Clever Models card kits. I'm trying to line the back- and side-scenes with building flats that I cobble together. Long way to go yet. And still more ballasting etc to do. Plus I need to find some way of hiding the wiring that makes the turntable work (I use it as a kind of sector plate).

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
I made a small diorama to display a couple of the locos I’ve weathered to make it look like an abandoned track. Closest thing I have to a shelf layout. 3’ long by 6” wide

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts